Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#584307 02/15/10 12:37 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I just threw out two sheets of aluminum foil that had been used in cooking. It made me think - this is regular metal I'm tossing in the trash.

Surely there is a way to recycle it?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Here in Maryland, we can recycle all of those kinds of things. When we first started recycling, we had many exclusions, but every year they add new machines, or whatever, and they are able to take more items. We can actually put pizza boxes in recycle now (without any crusts, of course). Foil, pie plates, all that kind of stuff. It just depends on how much recycling equipment your area has. We can even recycle old flower pots.

We don't even have to sort ours now. It used to be that we had to keep paper sorted from plastic, but no longer. I guess our state has started recycling enough that we have been able to get more and bigger equipment. They (the state government) are trying to make it so that people have 2 or 3 recycle bins to 1 trash. We usually have 3 or 4. It's just getting in the habit. wink

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I recycle the foil with my aluminum cans, after reusing the foil as much as possible. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That's encouraging, let me talk with my trash guys and see if they can take foil!

I should do up a page for my town on what is allowed. For example we always take pizza boxes, it would never occur to me NOT to put those into the cardboard pile! So I suppose different people have different perceptions of things. It would be nice to have it simply documented somewhere!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Right, there are places that won't take cardboard that has food oils in it (like pizza boxes often are). I think this is starting to change.

Also, very few areas take ALL the plastics. My area here takes 1-7, which is incredible! Some places only take 1 and 2.

Then there are towns that accept glass, and some that don't. It really does vary so much.

I was impressed in Flagstaff that the city took yard waste and mulched it for citizens to take for free. It was a win-win for everyone. I wish this town would do that to keep the green wastes out of the landfill.

God, I really do get on my soapbox about this, don't I?

My point is I think it's a great idea to post on your local site about what is accepted for recycling!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Jilly, I like that you know so much about all this recycling stuff. So tell me some more about 1-7 vs. 1-2. I'm not aware of all that. Our community doesn't really tell us much about it(or maybe I just haven't paid enough attention). wink

Thanks.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Thanks for the nice words, Trish.

Usually you can tell a plastic number by upending the bottle or whatever, and looking for the icon of a triangle with a number in it. That is the recycling symbol to help people wade through the different kinds of plastics.

Soda bottles (number 1) are PET plastic, which is short for the name of the plastic type. smile They are the most frequently recycled form of plastic.

The other numbers are described extremely well here: what the numbers on plastic mean

Last edited by Jilly; 02/17/10 11:55 AM.
C
Shark
Shark
C
" How to Prosper in the 21st Century" by Howard Ruff
Its a great book- a step by step roadmap to Independant debt free living.

Cindy L Merrill
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Thanks for the great information of what the numbers on the plastics mean, Jilly. I bookmarked that site so I can review it more later.

I have seen the triangles with the numbers on the bottoms of different containers, but never really paid much attention since we can recycle all of them (except PVC pipes). Knowing the safety of the different numbers, however, is a great thing to know. I will NEVER refill a water bottle, a 1, since it can harbor bacteria if reused since it is porous. wink Good to know.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jilly that is so amazing that some towns won't take glass! To me that's one of the most basic things to recycle!

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jilly 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.