logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
my dogs love it when I make apple pie, as they know the peelings are all theirs.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
There are only a few veggie/fruit items our dog won't eat. If I'm at the counter with the cutting board, she is always at my feet and gets her salad when I make salad for us. She loves lettuce, cukes and carrots, but won't touch raw tomatoes or bananas. My husband doesn't eat these two either. That's just weird, but OK and more for me.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I have one dog (the trash picker) who literally will eat anything and everything.

There have only been 2 things I have found Oreo will not eat. Peeled rhubarb, and lemons.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I was so excited about planting my little fall garden this weekend and it has rained all day for 2 days. Hopefully the weather will clear up soon. The wild grape vines I planted years ago (to prove I could grow and get them to produce) have some grapes and they are sweet this year. Unfortunately, there's not enough to make jelly or jam.

While in the woods at the Tribal Grounds I looked for some vines with grapes. There were plenty of vines, but no grapes. Between me and the animals snacking and spitting out the seeds, I have several new plants in the yard. I'm thinking about taking a few to plant there. Hopefully those vines will like mine and make some fruit in the coming years.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
my grapes finally ripened and are muscadines. I have a basket of them in the fridge, bout the size of dimes with 2 - 4 seeds each. I am thinking jam maybe the way to go.

Last edited by Wendy Tall One; 08/30/10 12:16 PM.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
With the sandy/silt dirt we have in this area, both Muscadines and Scuppernogs get HUGE. Might also be due to all the rain we get towards the end of summer as they ripen. My Great Aunt had a huge arbor with each, and we ate them until we got sick.

My vines are the wild, indigenous bulless (sp) grapes. My family has always used that name, but I've never seen it written, so not sure of the spelling. They are about the same size as yours, with the same seed count. It takes the vines a while to mature and flower and even longer for them to get fertilized. We might actually be describing the same grape. What we call a Muscadine is a much larger purple grape, but also with a thick skin. The leaves of the vines are slightly different as well.

So glad you got enough to make something with.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
My brother has some grapevines that took hold from the neighbor's vines. They grow nice big, dark purple grapes, but only a few this year and the birds ate them.

My Mom has been harvesting green beans and tomatoes every day. We have a big pot of beans and bacon with onions every night for supper.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
F
Koala
Koala
F
Sounds good, we lost a lot of our harvest this year due to the extreme weather first way to hot then weeks of pouring down rain. We did manage to eat some of our veggies and fruits, but there is nothing to harvest, hardly any apples,prune ect. on the trees. Maybe next year will be better.

Flower
My brother gave me some green bell peppers from his garden today. I love bell peppers! I like to slice them paper thin for sandwiches, chop and saute them for omelets of other dishes, use them in stir-fry...mmmm!

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I have a CSA share (Community Shared Agriculture) with which I get veggies all summer without the work and some veggies I never would have tried or grown on my own.

But let me tell you, I have been freezing things like you would not believe...I have a pot of tomatoes I have to chop up and freeze raw today as I will be getting another batch this afternoon.

Also made up some tatonka (buffalo) chili last week with a mass of veggies from the CSA....summer squash, tomatoes, bell pepper, corn, minced green beans, black beans (only thing from a can), parsley, minced blue kale, purple onions, and anything else I needed to shuffle on along. Cooked it all day in the crock pot and froze the leftovers.

I also freeze the cherry toms whole and chuck them into sauces or in with pasta right before straining.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.