Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
With Spring coming (eventually) I have a list of projects almost as long as my arm. Some are standard hurricane preparations, but others are aimed at saving on groceries, reducing consumer waste, and eating better.

Having replaced our roof last year, we can't afford solar panels, wind turbines, or a biodiesel car, but I want to become more self-sufficient. Live more off the land and not have to grocery shop every week. I know it can be done, even with the quarter acre we have in the middle of town.

1st Project - Composting - One corner of our yard is as far as possible from all houses. We'll be building a base and frame structure from cedar or cypress, both readily available in our areas. Redwood would work too, but we're on the East Coast, adn treated lumber has too many chemicals. We've got the chicken wire already.

From research the best combination is 75% brown stuff, leaves, clean cardboard, small sticks, etc and 25% green, grass clippings, vegetable waste, dead plants, etc. The only thing I need at this point is a pitchfork to turn the pile every week to speed up decomposition In a few weeks, if the weather ever warms up, I'll have a good supply of clean, organic soil for my seed box. That will be Project #2

Does anyone elsehave projects like this planned for Spring, or something you have done in the past similar? Please let me know if there is anything I need to avoid or look out for.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
I am in love with composting! My husband always teases me, like most women want "bling" but me, rich soil and fresh herbs and veggies and pizza and a beer every now an then.

We compost everything. So many nutrients in even organge peels. Lately, we've implemented dehydrators. So, if we're growing strawberries and various tomatoes and have a good season, we'll freeze some and dehydrate others. I don't need a lot of sugar anyway, so we don't add anyting to them and they really plump up (tomatoes) in chilli's or spagetti sauces. I just used a batch in some lasagna and they were really sweet.

I was thinking this last year and even more this year, but learning how to dry seeds and preserve them for the following year and investigating home remedies for repelling bugs.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Your compost pile shouldn't ever be stinky....that means it isn't receiving enough oxygen. Be sure to have some worms for your pile to aid in decomp and never add meat to it.

Since you are starting this compost pile fresh and new, layer in soil with it to add in the bacteria et al that will jump start the decomp.

I keep a glass dish on the counter out of the way to collect my compostables and when it gets full I toss them into my starter bin in the barn and layer on soil after it.

You can also throw in coffee grounds, egg shells, and tea bags. too.

per aspera ad astra: Through rough ways to the stars...

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Spent most of the day helping in the kitchen at the Tribal Grounds and the Clan Mother had some great tips for my composting to go along with yours. She cautioned about placing my compost pile near a tree, as the tree will send out roots for the nutrients. This I won't mind a bit. The pile will be near "Grandma," the grand old live oak in the back yard. An arborist said she's well over 150 years old and if the compost pile helps her, that's an added bonus.

Clan Mother told me about her worm bed and I realized we have one too. I had planted two wild grape vines to prove my Father wrong that I could grow them in the yard. They are between the carport and fence. With the accumulation of leaves and shade, we unintentionally made a worm bed I can use to help with my compost pile. I have a good supply of big fat ones who will enjoy their new home in the back yard compost pile.

I have another use for my coffee and tea. After reluctantly taking down the pine trees, our azaleas and gardenias have suffered as the acidity of the soil decreased. The coffee grounds and tea leaves have built it back up so we'll have plenty of blooms if we don't have a late freeze.

Clan Mother reminded me that if we have a dry spell, I'll need to moisten the pile to keep the decomposition going. We'll be able to get started as soon as we have a free weekend, some warmer/drier weather and a pitchfork.

Thanks for your tips, we'll be using them soon.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I forgot to mention leaf mold....this will aid in decomp and in keeping moisture in your bin.

Just rake your leaves together and leave them for a few days...the leaves @ the bottom will begin to deteriorate and be great for the comp pile.

You may also want to devise a lid from chicken wire with a hook in order to keep opportunistic animals like coons skunks possums and the like out of there as well in case. However, if you are turning it and adding a layer of soil after each addition of comp material you should be fine as far as pests and smell goes, but still good to not encourage those animals to come to the burbs for their food sources.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Leaf mold is something I had not thought about. What a great way to get my compost jump-started naturally, without having to buy those packets of additives. We have a mulching mower with a bag, but I can use some leaves and soil from my "unintentional" worm bed. There's a few years accumulation in that little strip between the fence and carport which will work great.

We're building a wooden base and wrapping the vertical posts with chicken wire. The only critters I'm worried about are squirrels. Our back yard is fenced, which keeps most others out. So your "lid" suggestion is one we'll certainly use, otherwise, they'll be in the pile, digging for acorns, and driving my dog crazy.

Anything else you can think of, please pass along. If the weather is good we may get started next weekend.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
the lid will also be good for your dog if they are like mine and will search the trash bin.

Also do not compost your dogs waste, it doesn't break down quickly or easily.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
We had already planned to make it tall enough so that Dixie can't get into it. She's our garbage disposal and loves vegetable peels. About the only thing she won't eat is tomatoes.

I wasn't planning on including the dog poop in my compost. Just like humans, if they are on any type of medication, some of it will be in their waste. I don't want those chemicals in my good soil.

Your tip on layering soil will also be a deterrent for our dog.
Thanks again!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I didnt know if you fed your dog raw/organic/natural/etc so I just wanted to cover all dog waste. wink

However, if you can get rabbit goat or chicken manure your garden will love you...goat being the most balanced as far as nitrogen phosphorus and potassium (the 3 numbers on the bag) goes.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Oh and ash from your fireplace if you have one.

Last edited by Wendy Tall One; 02/18/10 06:49 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.