logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#582010 02/02/10 09:43 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi everyone. I hope it is not inappropriate for me as a man to take part in this forum but I feel I need some advice. My wife had a miscarriage in December last year, it was a deeply traumatic time for both of us and one we are battling to recover from. Because it was our first attempt, my wife has really deep fears that we will never be able to have children. I have a little more faith, but don't seem to be able to make my wife believe that everything can be ok. My wife is being very strong, but is still very sad and the other night I woke to her sobbing next to me. She can't see babies on TV without getting upset. How long is normal for a women to be grieving about this? And how long before we should try again? Any advice from similar experieces would be very useful. Thank you

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
L
Hi Steven First, please let me offer you my sincerest sympathy for the loss of your baby. You don't say how early the miscarriage was, but to be honest it doesn't really matter: losing a baby is devastating. I know you're in a tough place emotionally, but some facts may help. The Miscarriage Association (www.miscarriageassociation.org.uk) is an excellent source of information and support. I experienced 3 miscarriages in my late 30s, and here is what I learned: having one early miscarriage is not uncommon. Two in a row: only around 3% or couples experience this. And for 3 in a row, only 1% of couple have to go through that (sadly, my husband and I did). Statistics I've seen in the medical literature suggest that even after 2 miscarriages in a row, you still have a more than 70% chance of the next pregnancy being successful. The success rate after one miscarriage is even higher. Statistics are on your side. I found the book Coming to Term by John Cohen extremely helpful in terms of explaining risks. If you and/or your wife are comforted by this, it may also help you. Basically, you are both grieving. You may 'get over it' or be able to move on faster than she does. All you can do is be kind to each other and know that you are each hurting in your own way. The bitterness and inability to even look at a baby or a pregnant woman without wanting to kill someone does go away. I've experienced it myself and I've heard it even from women who, sadly, weren't able to have children. It is a hard row to hoe but all you can do is move through it together. Trying again has to happen on your own schedule. There's no one answer as to how long that takes. my husband used to hold me while I sobbed, and he'd tell me in a soft voice "It's a wave, a big old ugly wave, but just a wave. Ride it out. I'm here." That helped more than anything else. Good luck. Liz

S
S
Hi Steven 1234. I myself have had 2 miscarriages back to back when I first started to try and have children before I successfully had a baby. I totally thought that I was going through it alone although married. I guess its because I just didn't think it could affect him as it did me. Only when I had my DNC that I was proven wrong. My mom went with me to the ultrasound and when they could find no heartbeat I called him to tell him not wanting to face him. When I got home he told me after I hung up, he sank to the floor and sobbed for about 30 minutes and then we cried some more. I've never felt more in love with him to know that he really did feel what I was feeling. Talking about it and crying together no matter how many times is what heals the pain. It is hard to watch even commercials with babies in it or see a child in a store but if you remain patient and talk about it you will find that the hurt and anger will go away and you will research and find answers together and try again. Just wait until they put that baby in your arms. My husband held her and turned her towards the window and showed her the outside world and sang to her. Its the most beautiful experience.....I have no doubt you will have that too.

R
R
Hi Steven, My thoughts go out to you and your wife. Miscarriage is absolutely devastating, some of us are unfortunate to find out. Only time helps and heals... My husband and I are in the midst of a miscarriage right now (our baby has no heartbeat but I've not yet actually miscarried). Every day is different for both of us, but we have both been deeply affected. I've read that for women, miscarriage can be like post-partum depression due to the sudden change in hormones. That leaves us weepy, inconsolable, and husbands at a loss for what to do. One of the best pieces of advice I've seen, however, is very simple: "be kind to each other." Best, best wishes at this difficult time.

Moderated by  Christine - Miscarriage 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.