Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
I will have to read this book. sounds great. I remember when I first saw Independence hall and was amazed at how small it was. All those men in there, hot, and tired were changing history.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
Consider how hot they must been with no air conditioning, electric fans and with the heavy style of clothing they wore. If I wore that much heavy clothing in June and July sweat would be dripping off of me. Imagine no deodorant back then either. I am sure it was not fun.

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
LOL - You are so right. It is amazing how they continued on and got it all done. Would cooler weather have made a difference in the outcome?

Parakeet
Parakeet
I doubt cooler weather would have made a major difference in the outcome because the tempers of the men involved was very hot.

People today think the health care has been a heated debate, they should read how heated a debate the Constitutional Convention was in 1787. It was a very heated debate and it was held in secret with no media coverage or public debate. There was no outcry from the public about the creation of the constitution because the public was completely unaware of what the representatives to the constitutional convention were doing. The representatives were sent there to fix the Articles of Confederation, not to create a federal constitution. What would the public reaction be today if legislation was created in secret?

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
Good question. It always troubles me that people think that what is going on today is something new. I recently read Ladies of Liberty and discovered that politics was nasty back then as well as the economy, as well as most things that we have issues with today.

If we learned more about the past, we could understand the present much clearer.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Very true. People think political campaigns today as nasty, but the things said about politicians early in our history were much nastier and personally meaner. Read the nasty things people said about John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and Lincoln. They were viciously nasty in tone and spirit. People think politicans are corrupt today, but they are not nearly as corrupt as they were in the 19th and early 20th century. As bad as people think government and politicans are they were worse in the 19th century and early 20th century, esppcially in the late 19th century when corporate giants and monopolies were more powerful than the President and US Government.

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
I wish people could truly understand that. Politics is not nothing new and the dirtiness of it is actually old as dirt.

Parakeet
Parakeet
I am not sure it is the most important event in history. However, I am truly convinced that if the British had lost the "Battle of Britain" in the skies over England and the English Channel in 1940 that the Nazis would have won World War II.

Last edited by Craig58; 04/03/10 08:02 AM.
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
Do you say that because of how hard it would have hit everyone else in the war or do you think England was that powerful and critical?

Parakeet
Parakeet
If England lost to Germany the U.S. would have lost a critical ally during the war. More importantly the United States would have lost its only viable base of operations for attacking Germany. If Britain had lost where would the United States attack from? Iceland? Greenland? The air war against Germany would have been impossible without airfields in England. Where would you put all the thousands of U.S. planes and personnel used in the air war against Germany without England as a base of operations? All German targets would have been out of range of any aircraft flying to Nazi targets in Europe from North Africa, Iceland or Greenland. The Normandy invasion of June 6, 1944, D-Day, would have been impossible without England as a base of operations from which to launch the invasion. England was the great aircraft carrier of World War II. Without it I do not know how any force could have successfully opposed Nazi Germany.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.