Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
In your opinion what is the most important event in history?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
It is impossible to single out one event as the most important.
However, the most important would probably the development of human speech and the invention of language. We do not know exactly when or how that occurred in early human evolution, but it is an extremely important development in the rise of the human species.

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
I had my list of events that I would consider but speech was not one of them. But you are so right. I had listed the alphabet and the written language but I think we don't usually go beyond that to the original speech.

It had to have changed the world. How could it now?

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
OK, let's get a little more specific and see what we come up with.

What is the single most important scientific event in history?

C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
A Big Event in scientific history must be one that fundamentally changes our world view.
I nominate Galileo's invention of the telescope.
True, people were making lenses in the Netherlands at that time, and the Heliocentric view of the heavens was an idea that was being considered by some philosophers, but when Galileo put 2 lenses together and aimed them at the sky he forever altered our perception of the earth's position in the cosmos.
His discovery and observations of the moons of Jupiter, the phases of Venus, and the mountainous surface of the Moon demonstrated the true structure of the solar system and opened the universe to astronomers. The scientific journey he began still continues.

Last edited by Claybird; 02/14/10 09:14 PM.
Parakeet
Parakeet
I would consider the invention of the compass and gunpowder as the most significant scientific creations. The compass allowed ships to sail beyond the sight of shore. This eventually leads to the discovery of foriegn lands by Europeans. The impact of the Europeans discovering the Western Hemisphere, The Pacific Islands and Southeast Asia is still with us today. Gunpower, while not a positive development, has changed the world forever. The widespread impact of gunpower on the world since the 1500s is beyond measure.

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
These are excellent events that did in fact chance the entire world. Two of them, the telescope and the compass, pushed man outside their own worlds and got them to explore more of what is out there. The gunpowder invention was significant but put our focus back on ourselves by drawing out the violent nature in man.

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
Redirect again.

What was the most significant event in history in the area of politics?

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I would say there are two significant events in politics and those would be declaring our independence from England and electing an African American to the presidency.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
Parakeet
Parakeet
The creation of the U.S. Constitution during the summer of 1787.

An excellent book on the subject is "Miracle at Philadelphia : The Story of the Constitutional Convention, May to September 1787" by Catherine Drinker Bowen

Last edited by Craig58; 03/18/10 12:32 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.