Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Amoeba
Amoeba
A
For some reason, this holiday has always been hardest for me to grasp, yet perhaps because it's so close to my own birthday, it's the easiest one for me to be mentally prepared for!

I remember learning in a Russian class in college about some holidays the Orthodox Christians celebrate and one of them (I don't remember what it was called) took place around February. The whole theme centered around the sun; they made pancakes and anything round that could resemble the sun itself. As I learned more about pagan holidays and customs, I started considering universal needs of mankind.

In the evolution of belief and myth, I have to wonder how much man created things just to keep hope and optimism alive; a primieval esprit de corps! I don't know where you all live, but in the northern parts of the world, February is just about the worst month ever. It feels like winter has gone on forever and it's never going to end and it's easy to feel as sloppy and dirty as slush. You're tired of being cold, you're tired of all they grey skies and lack of color around you. So, to lighten to mood, you throw a party, right? (A few years ago, some friends and I actually threw a luau - bbq'd outside and all - in the snow!)

While we have celebrated the return of longer days with the Solstice, it seems like, by Imbolc, we are ready to go and then some, but actual planting season is still far away for some of us. Ay! If we believe all of our pagan how-to books and mix it with our history, we have to know that, for people in Europe, this could also have been a very scarey time. Are food stores going to last us until spring? Are we rationing enough in case we have a long winter? Will we have wood enough to keep us warm and dry? I can't imagine the hard work, the worry, and the waiting.

So, if Brigid is all that she is, she seems a fine enough aspect to tag to this holiday. We need her inspiration for ideas to keep us working and planning, we need her forge to stay fiery so we can continue to build and stay warm with activity.

I try to use Imbolc as a personal/spiritual check-in time. I've got lots of ideas because winter gives me lots of time to reflect and think, but Imbolc seems like a good time to start sorting out the to-do list.

Also, I wonder if it's simply a good time to realize that, while there's a long way to go yet, new life and a new cycle are around the corner.

Sorry for the long ramble. For as slacking as I get with other celebrations, Imbolc always finds me. It's a seasonal and spiritual huddle for me, like the cycle is at half time and the game could go either way. Imbolc is the next page in the playbook.

I really am not a sports person, but the analogy seemed to work! Again, sorry for the long ramble!

Apple Blossom #577049 01/11/10 03:05 AM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
No need to apologize, Apple Blossom. Your post is very interesting and thoughtful. I enjoyed reading it. Thank you.

Being half way between the Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox, IMBOLC is a time of new beginnings and hope. Brigid, as both goddess and saint is also associated with holy wells, sacred flames, and healing. The lighting of candles and fires represents the return of warmth and the increasing power of the Sun over the coming months.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 01/11/10 03:10 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
I love Imbolc! Here in the frozen north we say "Winter's back is broken" at Imbolc, also a great time to bless our seeds for the coming season. I was initiated into Wicca at Imbolc many years ago, so it remains one of my favorite celebrations. Since I identify strongly with Brigit (triple goddess of smithcraft, healing and poetry) it is even more meaningful. Hope you all enjoy yourselves tomorrow.....

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.