Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Nyya Offline OP
OP Offline
N
As a society, we encourage helping others and giving to others. Just look at all the ways to help Haiti popping up lately. But do you give out of pity, guilt, or duty? Or do you see it as a win-win- they benefit, and you benefit as well? Personally, it gives me great joy to give. I've come to re-define wealth as having enough to go beyond my own needs enough to give to a friend or charity in need, and that attitude really frees me from the rat race of keeping up with the Joneses. Also, I know I'm a person of skill, knowledge, or influence when I'm able to help another with something they couldn't do alone. That's a great self-esteem boost. To be able to land someone a job, help them get a website up, or even just get them groceries when they are sick is a profound sort of power that needs more weight in the ways we judge our lives and selves. Do you let your power to help others make you feel good? Does helping them help you?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I think that's an excellent question, Nyya. I think it would be a shame to give out of guilt, for example. There are enough things in the world already which wear us down. We shouldn't take on extra guilt because our finances are tight and we cannot - at the moment - help others out.

If someone does want to help with a cause, then they can investigate ways they can help that are possible at the moment. If something simply isn't possible, they shouldn't feel guilty about that. If they want, they can make it as a goal in their life - to earn enough to donate $X to charity - and then work on that goal. But feeling guilty in the meantime doesn't help anyone. It doesn't help those in need, and it doesn't help you as a person reach your goals.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Originally Posted By: Nyya
... it gives me great joy to give. I've come to re-define wealth as having enough to go beyond my own needs enough to give to a friend or charity in need, and that attitude really frees me from the rat race of keeping up with the Joneses. Also, I know I'm a person of skill, knowledge, or influence when I'm able to help another with something they couldn't do alone. That's a great self-esteem boost. To be able to land someone a job, help them get a website up, or even just get them groceries when they are sick is a profound sort of power that needs more weight in the ways we judge our lives and selves. Do you let your power to help others make you feel good? Does helping them help you?

Nyya,

What a great attitude! I have come to believe that sharing and helping others is the way to happiness and living a more fulfilling life. However, never give out of guilt. There are so many way that we can give and help others besides giving money or time. Sometimes we can help by simply being a good listener or showing others the strong faith that we have in them so they have the strength to achieve their dreams.

Thanks for bringing up this good topic.

N
Nyya Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Lisa and Cara, Thanks for chiming in! I've begun wondering, since posting this, how many people give or do something for another out of guilt... and, knowing personally how hard it can be to say no even when one really truly doesn't have the time or money to spare, what's to be done about that? How do you put the brakes on when you can't give without feeling guilty? I've found some help in the whole "teach a man to fish" idea- I try to give sometimes, and other times, help the person in need to help themselves. Referrals, teaching them new skills, or just giving them an awareness of their true situation or solid a-b-c-d plan sometimes helps. Of course, that falls rather flat with things like the situation in Haiti. And for that, right now, I'm tapped. But I know next month they'll still need help, and are less likely to get it -so sadly- as the news gets older. I also know that people who may have planned on giving to other charities, such as the SPCA or homeless shelters, might have send their earmarked funds to Haiti instead, leaving others in need. So, since I've spent my budget already, I'm okay saying no- for now- becuase I know in months to come they will still need my help; and, even if they didn't, there are others I can help as well.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
That is very true. It would be like one person trying to solve the entire Haiti problem on their own. They simply couldn't do it. We can each do our best, and be content that our best was what we could do.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Quote:
Also, I know I'm a person of skill, knowledge, or influence when I'm able to help another with something they couldn't do alone. That's a great self-esteem boost.

That is awesome to be able to say about one's self. I wish we could all think so kindly and proudly about who we are what we are capable of. I wrestle with self esteem on so many levels. DO you ever find that an issue, or do you always have a pretty good handle on your self esteem?

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Quote:
That is very true. It would be like one person trying to solve the entire Haiti problem on their own. They simply couldn't do it. We can each do our best, and be content that our best was what we could do.

True. After college, I fully believed I would save the environment, with all my good ideas, my commitment, my knowledge and energy. I really believed that all you had to do to explain what the reality was to people and they would go, "OMG I need to recycle!" or "Right, we will stop dumping fabric dyes into our oceans!"

I thought it would be that simple. The latter half of my 20s was characterized by learning that most people simply do not care. Much disillusionment.

But helping the environment and helping animals DOES help me. It makes me feel happy. Helping people is nice but not my primary interest. When I donated my seattle car and previous RV to a cause, it was the humane society.

I get a nice glow whenever I think about that.

N
Nyya Offline OP
OP Offline
N
[quote]That is awesome to be able to say about one's self. I wish we could all think so kindly and proudly about who we are what we are capable of. I wrestle with self esteem on so many levels. DO you ever find that an issue, or do you always have a pretty good handle on your self esteem?[/quote] LOL, I guess it depends on my PMS and my scale! Seriously, though, I'm personally an odd mix of knowing, at heart, that I'm a true person of value, while at the same time knowing there are still many things others could judge me harshly on. But when I decided to start giving more importance to my own say about what matters and what doesn't in my life, instead of what Cosmo, the inlaws, people writing "fix your credit score now! articles, etc. thought about how I should live, I found a new peace and freedom. Your self esteem is nothing more than a measurement of your self liking; and like any other measurement, it's relative to what you CHOOSE to compare it to. My debt level is worse than your average college freshman's, not so bad compared to your average entrepreneur, and stellar compared to the national deficit. So who do I compare that to, to know if I should be proud or ashamed of my debt? No one! I'm paying my bills and working towards retirement as best as I personally can- what else matters? I started living once I quit comparing to get a measurement for my worth as a person, and all that energy that used to be negative is now free to help me improve, instead of compare.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Jilly -

I'm not sure I would say people don't care in the sense that they aren't laughing evilly while they drop their can on the side of the road. I think it's more that they are already burnt out on life and there is only so much they can put their already worn out energy towards.

For example, right now there are 15 *million* orphaned children in Africa - children without a mother or father. AIDS is killing off the adults leaving children all alone in homes without anyone to feed or care for them. Often they just die there, alone. Few of us make a daily donation to help save these innocent lives. I'm not sure it's that we don't "care" - it is that we already have other things we are trying to work on and there is only so much we can do.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, i had to deal with a decade of disillusionment and come to terms with it. It was a very hard journey. I hope you can at least validate the pain I had to deal with in effect to my ego. That is the point I was trying to make.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  JOY (Self Development) 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.