#580063 01/22/10 03:30 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Can you define evil? I read the thread asking if people believed in evil. But how do you define evil?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I think evil is that which impedes spiritual growth. Child abuse, abuse of any person, murder, terrorism, lies that harm others, cruelty to animals, destruction of Mother Earth, upsetting the balance and harmony of all Creation, are some forms of evil.

False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
Plato, Dialogues, Phaedo

No evil can happen to a good man, either in life or after death.
Plato, Dialogues, Apology

All things may corrupt when minds are prone to evil.
Ovid (43 BC - 17 AD)

To me evil is obviously the opposite of good.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 01/22/10 05:14 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Originally Posted By: Chi-Japanese Food
Can you define evil? I read the thread asking if people believed in evil. But how do you define evil?

Thank you Chi. My definition of evil is intentionally choosing to live with the lack of consciousness. I like to share the article about evil with you . Evil Defined

In it, I have a more well rounded definition of evil "Evil exists in a realm where souls choose to turn away from conscience, acting out solely to obtain pleasure or to intentionally cause harm..."

Thanks for starting this thread. I think it certainly is a question that will bring up different response in each one of us.

What's your personal belief on this topic?

Last edited by Cara Philosophy Editor; 01/22/10 06:17 PM.
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, Native American
I think evil is that which impedes spiritual growth. Child abuse, abuse of any person, murder, terrorism, lies that harm others, cruelty to animals, destruction of Mother Earth, upsetting the balance and harmony of all Creation, are some forms of evil....

To me evil is obviously the opposite of good.

Well said Phyllis

Evil is the opposite of good. I agree that when we upset the balance and the harmony of all Creation, it is a form of evil. Your statement reminds me of the movie Avatar.

Thanks also for the good quotes.

Gecko
Gecko
Evil = despair. Not hoping anymore is the root of so much crime and violence.

Nancy Welker
BellaOnline Yoga Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
To me evil is te opposite of love, the complete absence of love.

I think Nancy definitely hits on it when she includes despair in there, too. Because even a person who has never been shown love still has the hope of love, the capacity for love. It is when they give up that hope and let all love die within themsleves - never even trying to let it grow and pass on to another person that true evil sets in.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Great definitions.

Where there is love, evil cannot exist. Yes, despair or the completely lack of hope is where evil sets in.

Thanks Nancy & Michelle. I really didn't think of evil that way before. I am glad we all can share our perspectives on this. It certainly makes me think...

Cara N. #580116 01/22/10 07:04 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Hmmm. I had to give this serious thought. Too many times, we label things evil without looking at the root cause of outward behavior and thoughts.

I like the thought of "upsetting the balance and harmony of all Creation is a form of evil."

To me, evil is...
1. harmful with the intent of harm
2. destructive with no intent of rebuilding
3. negative in all aspects.

I don't know if the Universe will ever be rid of evil because it is part of existence. There is a yin-yang balance to us all. We are not all evil nor all good. Within us exists all possibility so it is important for us to use our good to neutralize any evil impulses within us, sythesize and integrate into one cohesive, understanding, forgiving, accepting soul.

How? Through love. Love yourself, love others, love all.

yikes. Boy, did I digress!

C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Those are good definitions!

Yes, how do we change? Through love like you said. The power of love trumps all negativity... at least that's what I believe.

I certainly agree that each one of us has a shadow side as no one is all good or all evil. I think is when we finally accept and honor this fact, we can then focus on our growth as a soul. For a long time, I didn't understand this concept, and it costed me a lot of heart aches as I judged others and myself very harshly.

By the way, I like your digressing! There is nothing off topic here, because it's about life! smile

Cara N. #580242 01/23/10 04:45 PM
Cara, it is special to me that you brought up that my statement of the Harmony and Balance in Creation reminds you of the movie, AVATAR.

I saw the movie last weekend and was amazed at the profound symbolism in the film and that the forces of evil try to destroy that which was good and spiritual to the indigenous peoples. This is a whole other discussion we could get into, but many people have not yet seen AVATAR and I would not want to give away any of the story. Anyone who believes in good and evil, anyone who is on a spiritual path, should see AVATAR. I heartily reccomend it.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.