Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
This was a rough episode for me to watch. I don't like arguments and the episode had a lot of fairly nasty arguing in it. This is exactly why I normally don't like reality shows.

That being said, I do agree that the green team member Migdalia was really wound up and angry and needed to break through that. Maybe I'm naive to think that breakthrough could have been done without all the "torture". Maybe that was the only way she could make that step.

I do like that afterward the mom "continued the path" and kept telling Migdalia that she had to start working on this issue, to find out why she was so wound up and angry.

We had this annoying Senate race here in Massachusetts so we lost whole portions of the show to it! It was very frustrating.

Argument #2. Melissa. I agreed with Bob and Jillian in the past episode, that Melissa was clearly gaming the system. It's of course fine to play the game, but I agree with them that she should just admit it rather than claim "Oh! I don't know why I didn't lose weight!" So then on this episode she goes even further and says "Jeez I don't know why I didn't lose weight last week and now I'm stuck again this week. My biology is clearly broken." So again she's claiming last week was some sort of accident even though she had finally admitted last week that she was playing the game.

So while I don't think Bob & Jillian should have pushed it that hard with her on stage, I do think she was making statements about "oh some body types just can't ever lose weight, might as well eat a cheeseburger" which is a VERY unhealthy statement to make. I think Bob & Jillian were right to call her on that. Maybe not as hard as they did though.

Argument #3. Michael. I have to say I side with the people who feel Michael isn't really trying in this week. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the people there. Tens of thousands of people *dream* about getting on the show and weren't able to. The people who were already kicked off killed themselves to try to stay on. And Michael is not doing his best. I do agree that people who get to stay at the ranch should be the people who desperately want to stay and use every ounce of time to improve, and I don't feel Michael is at that state. I think his mom really wants him to improve - but I don't think he himself feels that same drive.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I was shocked at how Bob set Jillian up like he did. Jillian was going gently with Migdalia. Bob TOLD her to go be mean. He almost embarrassed her into it.

Then after Midgalia blows up and quits like Jillian warned she would, Bob goes to the green team room and tells them that HE will help them, to go to HIM, that HE will listen and understand them and be there for them. He never once says, "we" understand, "we" are there for you.

I see this kind of Machiavellian stuff Bob pulls almost every season. It's his whole Church of Bob thing.

Bob, I love ya but CUT. IT. OUT. Undermining Jillian doesn't make you look good.

Last edited by Jilly; 01/20/10 08:13 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
It's interesting how we have different takes on that. I took it very much to be a classic "good cop / bad cop" ploy. You see that in drama shows all the time and it's really effective. In fact we were just watching Noble House - an old miniseries - and they were doing that same sequence in that show too. It worked perfectly.

So I found that to be an effective way of getting the result they wanted, I didn't find it unusual. Maybe I watch too many cop shows smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I did think of good cop bad cop, but my sense is that it doesn't apply here. I have seen Bob do this kind of thing every season. Jillian was the one who coined "the Church of Bob" a few seasons back.

Even though they are working together now, Bob is still super competitive with Jillian. I never see Jillian be competitive with Bob.

I was fine with him going in and being the nice guy - she asked him to do that - but then taking all the credit was just low. As someone who used to teach Outward Bound classes, you just don't make yourself look good at the expense of your co-instructor.

I was very pleased when Miggy explained what she thought Jillian was doing, and told Migdalia she needs to go talk to Jillian and do what she said. I like Miggy a lot. She seems sensible, and has the green team fire that Tara had.

Midgalia seems to have some growing to do. I bet we will see her growth on the show. If she can decide to open up.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I understand what you're seeing, and how you're pulling for teammanship. I appreciate that greatly.

This is just my angle on it, but in the case of saving a person who is obese, I don't see that it matters who gets credit. I'm fine with good cop / bad cop ending up with one of the team seeming 'bad', if the end result is the person gets healthy. If I was Jillian, I would be happy to be the bad cop, if in the end the person was happy and on the right path. I wouldn't be worried at all about the credit.

On the Miggy / Midgalia situation, on one hand I am very happy that Miggy did support the path rather than coddle her child. But that being said, she as the mother is the reason her daughter is in this fix. It's the result of her path for the past 20+ years that her daughter is like this. She's the one who made her daughter this way.

Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.