Next Thread
Print Thread
#578620 01/17/10 03:05 AM
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
What about the Roman Empire intrigues you the most?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
Perhaps the most intriguing, for me, is the Roman love for watching "blood sports," as well as, their exploitation of animals and people.

Just for the dedication of the Colosseum alone up to 5000 animals died.

Under Nero, in just one day, 400 tigers fought with bulls and elephants. He also had a segment of his guard fight over 400 bears and 300 lions.
The "crazy" Caligula, had some 400 bears killed in just one day.

Claudius had a certain division of his guard fight panthers and Nero did the same.

Criminals were often dressed in animal skins and sent into the ring with lions, or tigers. The Romans viewed this "treatment" of "criminals" as acceptable, for in their eyes they viewed it as a reasonable way for the "criminal" to be given a "chance" for his life, as well as, a deterent for those who may be thinking of doing something bad.

They paid huge sums of money, around $5,000,000 a year to India for such luxuries, such as tigers, cheetahs and elephants, along with other notables such as spices, silks, cloth of gold, perfumes and brocades. That amount of money, for that time, was astounding!

Cicero hated the slaughter and Seneca, who went to the games one afternoon when the stands were virtually empty, wrote this: " I come home more greedy, more cruel and inhuman, because I have been among human beings...fighters are sent out with no armor of any kind; they are exposed to blows at all points, and noone ever strieks in vain....in the morning they throw men to the lions; at noon they throw them to the spectators. The crowd demands that the victor who has slain his opponent shall face the man who will slay him in turn....Man, a sacred thing to man, is killed for sport and merriment." (Durant 387)

Durant, Will. The Story of Civilization: Caesar and Christ; Simon and Schuster, NY 1944

Michelle Roberti
Folklore and Mythology
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
We have been watching movies lately about ancient Rome. My children are baffled as to the blood enjoyment. The whole culture seems to have been part of it.

It was because of the Romans that many exotic animals came near to extinction or did vanish all together. The love of blood, money, and popularity effected much of the world.

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.