logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Miniature Pot-Bellied Pig

One of the gifts being given away to the ever so spoiled stars at the Golden Globe Awards is going to be LIVE baby pigs. I can just see the tissue paper dresses smudged with pig manure. Who came up with this? Evidently the writers (didn�t they go on strike for more money?) How many of these pigs will end up being loved pets? If George Clooney's is attending the event, then maybe one pig may have a happy home.

The rest will end up as bacon or at pig rescues� who are already feeling the blunt end of the pig craze. The Best Friends Animal Sanctuary is horrified as am I.

How stupid can people get; A Baby pig giveaway?? Call NBC now voicing your outrage that such an atrocity can occur! These tiny pigs will end up being plump 150 pound pigs. This is totally irresponsible! Fire the writing staff while they are at it!

Contact information for NBC

Best Friends Animal Society

Last edited by Diana-Exotic Pets Editor; 01/16/10 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Completely outrageous - I hope everyone that cares about such things makes real pests of themselves. Will be posting this where ever I can.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I am sure the station appreciates me by now. An observant BellaOnline Editor notified me. I wish I wasn�t in the middle of so much right now I would have loved to have done some serious research and done an article on the subject. Thanks Susan!

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Live animals are not swag bag gifts! How irresponsible. These poor piglets. Isn't this breaking some kind of law?

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Who could possibly untangle all the laws involving animals, I am sure there is at least a dozen being broken. But, there are so many agencies involving animals, and none of them knows who is responsible for what law and how to enforce it. So, they make more laws to make it even more confusing. USDA mandates licenses for sugar gliders..ah too late to even get into this can of worms.

Yes, what a terrible thing to do, give these little piglets out as gifts to people that know nothing about them, they are going to homes where no one has anything ready for them, knowledge of taking care of them, or even a vet to administer to them if they should have problems.

S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Just to clarify - they are not handing out pigs during the gala - they will be handing out certificates for those that wish to collect a piglet at some point later. Still not a great idea to give celebrities such responsibility - most can barely take care of themselves.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Thanks for the clarification Susan. Still a very bad idea. No one has a clue how big these minis are going to get, including the breeders. I read on the Best Friends Animal Society something to the effect that only 3% of these little pigs stay with the people who purchase or acquired them, the rest end of in rescues/shelters, and other not so good outcomes. I will have to read that again, and I really need to get off this computer before I end up a divorced person lol. If I got that wrong I will repost.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I am glad they are not getting a bag of goodies with a piglet in it. Hopefully few of them will redeem for their free pig, unless having a pet piggie is something they actually have been wanting and looking into anyway.

I am not against people having pigs - I just want them to do their research and think it through, as with any pet. Pets are not toys; they are family members.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Perfectly said Jilly, all pets are or at least should be family members. I have always been rather fond of pigs. I had three of them as a project as a teenager. Of course I grew attached to them, so that didn�t work out real great. Score one for my pigs and I, zero parents. My folks couldn't wait for me to leave for college. They unloaded all my pets, pigs, horse, every single one except for my cat which I took with me.

I really can�t believe what these guys were thinking though with the idea of giving pigs away.

Miniature Pot-Bellied Pig

Tamworth, Kune Kunes, and the Gloucester Old pigs, all comparatively small for pigs at 260 pounds plus, they are breeding the offspring of these breeds way to young. The pigs take three to five years for pigs to reach their full potential for size. It is way too early to have any idea how much these pigs are going to be when they do real full size. It will not be a so-called mini size. It will take many years of selective breeding to ever get to the size they are advertising. Perhaps, hundreds of years; I don�t intend on waiting around that long to see if it is possible wink

Micro-Pig TeaCup Pig

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.