Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
We just watched episode 2 of the Biggest Loser Couples on our DVR. I definitely like being able to fast forward past commercials and see what happens next!

I liked that they concentrated on the "lifestyle changes" in this episode. They helped people see why they really had to change, how they could not be complacent any more. So many people gain weight slowly and think of it as "normal" and don't feel any strong urge to change. They needed a wake-up call to realize how unhealthy their lifestyle was.

I was glad that the mom who was afraid of water got over that fear, although it's a shame they didn't do that before the injury.

I really like it a lot when people overcome those sorts of self-made hurdles and find their inner strength!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
My guess is the producers really didn't realize the extent of Maria's water phobia. If Maria had watched any previous seasons, she'd have known that about half of the challenges involve falling into a pool.

I am so glad Jillian took her by the hand and helped her with this fear. It's a sure bet there will be more water challenges ahead. Now Maria will have a chance. Jillian knows this and probably told Maria to get in the pool every few days or so, to get ready for the idea of those challenges.

Plus a pool workout is bound to be excellent for stressed out joints. smile

Episode Two is usually the Dr. H Death Episode. This one was really very well done. I was in pain for Bob (and Micheal) when they added 300 pounds to Bob's frame. I get squished when wearing a 50 pound backback to hike; imagine 300+ pounds! It also showed how strong Michael is to be lifting and treadmilling with everyone else.

I really like Michael. smile

What I find interesting with this group is how TINY the 200 pounders look this season, next to the heavier cast members.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yes it is definitely all relative, how large someone is! They find that a lot with how people gain weight, too. If you hang around with all very heavy people, you feel "less heavy" and don't worry about your weight at all. If you hang around active, fit people, then you see yourself relative to them and get incentive to become more active and fit.

I am really surprised by people who go on the show without renting a previous season's DVDs and knowing what is going to happen. I would think that would be the very first thing you should do, to understand what is going to happen.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Micheal probably is was a fan and begged his mom to go with him (since it's a couples season). She might not have been a fan. Or maybe she was ashamed to admit she could not swim, or afraid if she said something she would have ruined her son's chances.

I REALLY hope Michael can stay long enough to get on track. I will cry buckets if he gets voted off before he's ready.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Episode Three tomorrow night!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I definitely understand how some non-fans would end up on the show, either because the other half of the couple really wanted to go on or because family / friends pushed them to go on. Even so, though, I would think both team members as part of their "research to win" would sit down - together - and watch a set of DVDs and discuss their strategies and so on. I would absolutely do that if I ever went on with Bob, onto any show, for example.

In terms of the water thing, one thing that occurs to me is maybe she was afraid if she admitted an "issue" that they would not be chosen for the show. So for example if I was unable to ride a bike, and Bob wanted to go on a show that involved bike riding, I wouldn't necessarily admit it. I would try to find a way to get through it so Bob got his shot.

But again, I would immediately work on learning to ride a bike, so that my issue didn't at all impede Bob in his quest.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Right, that is what I meant by this (Maria not wanting to have the chance they would not be selected):

"Or maybe she was ashamed to admit she could not swim, or afraid if she said something she would have ruined her son's chances. "

You and I are 'researchy' people, though. Dan and his sister are watching every ep of Amazing Race for their shot. But Dan is also researchy. Some people would not think to do that, I guess. I know the Tongan boys mentioned they were also not fans but caught a few episodes of the season with Sione and Felipe.

I see this kind of thing on Top Model too - where some girls get caught totally off guard about some things. Sometimes they are shocked someone cuts their hair off, or refuse to do the nude modeling shoots. And they don't read up on designers and photographers...they KNOW Tyra is going to ask them industry questions. A half hour on the Internet would give them a few top designers and photographers to respond with.

You'd think those girls would be religious fans of the show and would know to expect this kind of thing.

I don't watch any other reality shows, so I don't know if this kind of 'show ignorance' is rampant. But I'd think there would be no excuse for it.

On BL, there WILL be water based challenges, and height based ones, and sometimes both together in one challenge! There WILL be temptations. Jillian WILL climb on your body and scream in your face. Jillian will make you cry, and Bob will curse at you if you don't join his cult. If you water load at weight-ins, people will know what you did. Betrayals in the elimination room will come back to haunt you. And on and on.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
That is so fascinating to me. A person on the show is "taking the spot" that thousands of people desperately wanted. If I was in that position I would make sure I had done everything in my power to both deserve that spot and to get every benefit out of it. I guess I just don't understand why someone wouldn't put that focus into their task.

But then again it may be a very quality which got them into bad shape in the first place. Maybe it's sort of a "If I don't try, then I can't be blamed if I fail" sort of mentality.

It's like, there was this show where they dumped normal people into the Alaska wilds to see if they would survive. Many of the people simply had no idea what to do. They'd been told the exact nature of the challenge and signed up for it so it's not like they *couldn't* be prepared. If *I* chose to sign up for that, I would have read every "what to eat in Alaska" book I could get my hands on, studied every use of snow, etc. etc.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I just feel badly for Michael. I think watching the show is not the same as being there - so many ex contestants have said that on Facebook. They really have no idea just how hard it will be - never forget the human capacity for rationalization and denial. It's one thing to see these people screaming in pain and sweating buckets. It's another to be there.

I want to see Michael have a breakthrough and 'get it'. Some of these people, it takes a while. I sense he will do better without his mother there. smile Go Michael!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I do agree completely that people can dismiss or underestimate hurdles. They think, "oh that last chance workout was only 10 minutes, that seems really easy". So I can see people being really surprised when they have to go through it.

I do want every person to succeed in their dreams. So in that sense I want *every* person who wants to become more fit to achieve that. I guess so far I haven't seen that Michael wants that at all. It seems more that people around him want it for him. But it always has to be the actual person, himself (or herself) who has to really want something. I guess I just don't see Michael wanting it. If it came down to someone leaving, the others are all really striving. At the next weigh-in, I'm not sure who else I would rather see leave ... *maybe* the scuba diver's wife, since she doesn't really seem in much trouble.

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.