Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Shark
Shark
C
Hahn's macaw is it really as small as a conure. I have never seen a small macaw didn't know they existed. What are they like?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I think I will let NCC answer this one, I remember the Hahn�s climbing my leg, perching on the edge of my plate and eating all my spaghetti (and anything else the majesty wanted lol)

N
Amoeba
Amoeba
N
They are teh smallest of teh surviving Macaw species. Actually very close to the size of a green cheeked conure.. Or roughly the size of a grown man's fist ( minus the tail of course ). The best description I have heard fo them is Macaw Boullion... All the essence of a Great Macaw, compacted into a tiny easy to carry package. And being so concentrated, they also tend to suffer from Napoleon Syndrome ( That is what I called it.) Syl is a very loving bird, but he also displays his emotions on HIS time frame. Some moments he would be the most cuddling lil creature you ever saw.. other moments, he would not want to be touched. If you remember the little chickenhawk from teh old foghorn leghorn cartoons. That is what SYl reminded me of. HE would strut around like he was a full sized Macaw; Chest puffed out, head held high. Yet inside he was the most loving lil guy you ever saw... Trouble was sometimes getting past his tough exterior. ahaha. The biggest mistake people make with Hahn's is that they think, OMG, he is sooo cute, I just want to cuddle him. Well they ahve the same personality of the big birds. THey can be demanding, manipulitive, controlling yet the most loveable devoted companions you have met. And like Macaws, they love predictable behaviour. They dont like sudden changes, but can adapt to new situations. Just remember they have very defined personalities, needs, wnats and desires. Just because they are so small - do not think they are cute little cuddly stuffed animals... :P

R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
NCC I love'd your discription of the Hahn's macaw. I can visualize them struting their stuff. Sounds like they have more going for them than Napoleon - chickenhawk lol

N
Amoeba
Amoeba
N
The funniest part was when Syl and I were watching the Foghorn leghorn cartoon with the chickenhawk in it. I started laughing and told Syl, your a Chickenhawk. He promptly repeated CHICKENHAWK in a loud voice, then started laughing. That was the only word I heard him pick up from just hearing it once. LOL. It was a rather amazing event, and extremely humorous. I couldnt stop laughing fora long time after that. :P

V
V
Hi I am new to this forum, but was looking for some advise I just added a catalina macaw to the family flock, was wondering if any one has an opinion on covering their bird at night I have two other macaws and an grey and dont cover them the previous owner said that she covered him at night but I really think that he was covered due to alot of screaming. I just dont like the covering I feel that it makes him feel alone. But it brings me to the problem of his screaming I have been covering him for 5 min when he screams then taking it off I am open to suggestions thanks

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Is your house pretty dark at night? You don�t leave a lot of lights on or have a lot of commotion? A bird needs 10-12 darkness a night so that their their internal clock works correctly. The screaming is a whole different issue (unless he screams only during the hours he should be covered, and then it is a case he needs to be covered).

Previous to coming to your home had he gotten get out of cage time? Did he have mental stimulation with a lot of toys rotated frequently? How high is his cage and playpen? You need this to be lower than you are. You can't train a bird unless it is lower than your level.

Is this screaming all the time or just sometimes? Parrots scream � it is natural. If it occurs all the time you have a behavioral modification routine ahead of you. He could be screaming because he needs the 10-12 hours of darkness and isn�t getting the sleep that he needs.

Unless this screaming only happens when the bird should be covered, then it is a reinforced behavioral problem because he was a bored and unhappy bird. Yelling at the bird only reinforces the problem further � any attention is better than no attention at all. Remember, all this is from previous owner, but you�re the one that has to undo the problems and it is a timely, have patience process.

First I�d get him off to an avian veterinarian often a bird screams because it is sick or uncomfortable. Ask that a chem pan be done. If the bird proves to be healthy then we need to work on why the bird is screaming. Don�t get angry, yell, hit the cage, birds are drama king/queens, they love attention anyway they can get it.

Establish why the bird is screaming keep a bird behavioral journal and jot down the time, what he is doing when he starts screaming anything pertinent. Start establishing dominance. Make sure the bird is always lower than you are, including the cage, playpen, don�t allow him on your shoulder, It will be a long time before he will be allowed on your shoulder. Start stair stepping him. Step up step down, keep your arms around waist level, and get the bird well below you.

Reinforce good behavior with a treat or new toy. Only give him toys or treat when he is good and sitting quietly. If he screams cover him or leave the room and don�t return until he has quieted down. When he is quiet again reinforce the good behavior. Make sure he has fun interactive toys and rotate them frequently.

Tell you what, work on this, and I will write a complete article on it this weekend smile

Last edited by Diana-Exotic Pets Editor; 12/27/09 09:42 AM.
V
V
I am setting up an appointment with the vet. I am not real sure of his past owners I think that he was left in a room by himself and covered up (screaming) His past owner said he liked being covered I think he has problems with being alone if you leave the room he screams alot I have been tring to reassure him that I am coming back As far as toys he had one swing I think he also has a nutrition problem He really is very sweet but gets over stimulated very easily when he screams I put him in his cage covered for about 5 to 6 min then take the cover off My house is not totaly dark I leave a small light on and it is very quiet it is just myself and my boyfriend so I think the screaming is something he learned to get attention from past owner. I know that all my babies have sometimes they all like to scream i accept that but this is different thank

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I think the vet is a good idea. I am sure he just learned unwanted screeching because he was lonely and needed time with his �mate� his people mate. So few people realize how important socialization is to parrots. People have to be willing to spend a great deal of time with them; heck people aren�t even willing to spend necessary time with their children. It takes special people to have parrots, a great deal of quality time is as important as is the proper stimulation. Get some nice toys to disassemble lol, that�s the stimulation he needs along with quality time with you guys. Taking a bird home and not realizing its needs is like taking a very bright eight year old and placing him or her in first grade. I am afraid I would develop screaming habits as well. They are intelligent, they need activity, stimulation from toys, music, television, but leave the nature channels off a predator on one of the nature channels could scare the tar out of him. But most of all, quality time from their people. Macaws mate for life. They can�t be denied socialization. Be patient a lot of undoing needs to be undone by you from the previous owner.

His previous owner used the cover as a turn-off switch for the bird. That is cruel. Of course he is quiet when it is dark.

It doesn't sound like where you have your birds at night is a problem at all. A night light is good.

R
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
R
How is the macaw doing Vitts?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.