Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#571839 12/21/09 12:54 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hello all.. I have been searching the internet and such trying to find a solution to my problem and anyone that can help, it would be greatly appreciated. I have a neurosensori hearing loss, severe, in my right ear. It causes me to not to be able to identify where sounds come from. I also get tinnitus and vertigo. I have tried headsets at the sporting goods store that are rated 30DB (that is the only other than online like 22 DB?)to block out noise. When I put them on the man at the counter was talking and the phone was ringing at the other side of the store and I could hear both. I have a touch of hyperacusis in the good ear which creates problems that I can hear things that sometimes aren't there. I can't distinguish from real sounds external to when I'm watching TV and other sounds are interfering. I have to put the TV on pause to determine if it's in my head or external. External I can't hear the TV as the external overpowers the TV. I can't talk on the phone even with the TV low as it interferes. I really need to find a headset that will cover my ears and provide almost "deafness" to me. My neighbors are rude, rev their doolies, blast their music, and have 5-7 dogs that bark. I need to have some kind of reprieve by putting on head sets that will block out noise entirely to keep my sanity. can anyone maybe explain the difference between 22db and 30 db in headsets and or where I can find some that would work for me. Ear plugs can work if I'm laying on my good ear, but when I get up, ear plugs don't stay in my ear. None of them do, so they are useless. Hearing doctors in my small town don't have a clue. I need at least some deafness time to decompress. Thanks..

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hmmm! I don't really have any suggestions but I will pass your queries onto people I know to see if they have any suggestions. Have you tried white noise (such as a fan) which can sometimes block out unwanted noise. And what about those tapes of seaside/water, jungle noises and such.

What about an iPod or MP3 player playing your favourite music?

I frequently get the phantom sounds you mention. I used to set an alarm in my house at night and I would wake up startled when it went off - except even if it had gone off I could not have heard it. I was also woken by the telephone ringing and once again I cannot hear a telephone ring. These responses, I figured, were caused by stress/fearecause I was living alone back then. I don't get these problems now I am married and my husband would alert me to any danger.

I don't know what the headset ratings are.... Decibels (or DB) is the loudness of voluume. Speech falls between about 20db (a whisper) and 80 db (someone yelling at the top of their voice).

MP3 players and iPods can be raised to about 120db. Any prolonged sound above 80db is likely to damage your hearing permanantely.

Felicity
Deafness
L
OP Offline
L
I would really appreciate that.... I can't have any noise because I won't be able to hear the TV...can't understand words on TV when the refrigerator is even running..it's like ALL noise jumbles in one ear and isn't filtered out. I just want a headset that blocks out all noise so when I start stressing and the neighbors dogs bark and they rev their trucks and their music I have 100% silence to regroup and decompress. I never thought I'd appreciate silence as much has I crave it now :-) Thank you

L
OP Offline
L
Oh, again the 30DB in the sporting goods store....they don't block out much. I have the old fashion headset for older stereo that cover your ears. I've put sponges in the insides and the only way for complete silence is putting a ear plug (which won't stay in my ear as they fall out) and laying down on my good ear holding the headset and then there is silence but my hand starts hurting.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
I do not know what silence is like. I haven't experienced silence since 1969 when my tinnitus first started screeching.

I think you really need to go to an ENT person and then a hearing aid person because they will be able to check if anything is wrong and suggest solutions to the noise.

Felicity
Deafness
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi
This was posted from one of our Cochlear Implant forum members. Hope it helps

"Maybe add this to your BellaOnline Forum for information. For the person that needs help with Noise Cancelling the neighbours etc.

For information on Noise Cancelling from Wikipedia to explain how it works look at: the web-site (I am unable to put the actual web-site address as this forum cancels all text from the beginning of a web-site address and adds and alert message)

For information and a good video on different types of Noise Cancelling Headphones, search video - nytimes - noise cancelling headphones.

Further information on different headsets can also be found at seatguru under articles nosie cancelling head phones.
Obviously some good quality products can be expensive but you would need to compare prices, they are from $51 to about $600 depending on the brand. Here is a good example of these products. (Try myshopping and search for noise canceling headphons

Hope this helps.

Regards
Faye "

Last edited by Felicity Deafness; 12/29/09 02:57 AM.

Felicity
Deafness
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks...I've been to an ENT and audiologist. I have 90% hearing loss in my right ear since 1990, which exasperates the problem of not detecting where sound originates from much less figure out what some of the sounds are. It just seems to be getting worse. So, I do have tinnitus, and roaring, but mostly at night when watching tv no when going to bed...it's like there is extra irritating noise coming from the TV. The ENT said stress causes tinnitus etc. I think he is full of it.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Well I'm sure stress helps exacerbate all things including tinnitus... but it certainly has a physical cause but no one has yet worked out what nor how to fix it. I too have roaring tinnitus and have had since I was 18 years old. At first, like you, it caused me a lot of angst, but eventually I learned to live with it simply because I had no choice.

When I had my cochlear implant I found that while wearing the speech processor I no longer have tinnitus in that ear. I am having a second cochlear implant in a few weeks in my other ear and I'm hoping that will take the tinnitus away from that ear too.

With 90% hearing loss in one ear and problems in your other you would msot likely be a candidate for a cochlear implant. It could be worth checking out to see if one would help you.

Felicity
Deafness
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Ladyharley, reading your post was like reading about my self
I have many similar problems as you
I bought a pair of TV EARS which help tremendously to hear every word on the TV.
Their website is www.tvears.com
I even bought a second pair in case these brake i don't want to be with out them
I don't hear my neighbors music any more with my TV EARS on
Good luck to you

Rosie L
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks...the worst problem I think that is happening is that my left ear (according to the ENT) I have hyperacusis which all noise floods in my good ear, slight noise irritates the heck out of me and the other ear with the 90% loss, I've recently determined that sound is bouncing off that ear distorting it and it interferes with auditory.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.