Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
My family is composed of many religions. I am Pagan, my parents are pentacostal, my in laws are Catholic, I have an uncle who married into a Jewish family, he has converted, My great aunt is a Mormon, I have another uncle who married a Jehovah's Witnes, thus he also converted. Both sides of the family are ok with these religious choices, except mine. So we celebrate Christmas (even the Jehovah's witnesses will come to the gathering to be with the family but they buy no gifts and do not want gifts given to them) at my parents, we celebrate a night or 2 of Hanuka with the uncle, I have requested them to join me on the night of Yule and no one wants to come. I am not asking them to participate in a ritual, just dinner. I teach my children about all religions and if I don't have answers for them, I know where to turn.

How do you celebrate the holidays in a blended family of religions? Do you keep you religion to yourself or do you try to engage your extended family in traditions of Pagan celebration?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
I totally understand the going to X-mas get together out of family obligation. As of this year we have decided to also host own Yule dinner with close friends. This way we can actually have a holiday we enjoy. As far as Mixed religion families My husbands side is Christian the particular branch is never really mentioned. My husband is Druid. My immediate family is Agnostic with Lutheran roots and a sprinkle of Appalachian folk magic. I personally follow a Greco-Roman based path. Our child is still in diapers so religion is not really an issue yet but the plan is to teach her our values while answering any questions she may have about other faiths. But to answer your other question no we do do not engage our extended family in any thing to do do with our religion because they want nothing to do with it and are disrespectful when it is brought up.

F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
All of the above! I flip between Happy Yule/Solstice/Holidays to Merry Christmas pretty regularly, though I try to stick to Happy Holidays at least.

My aunt is seriously Catholic, and she wished me a Merry Christmas. I told her, I don't mind a "Merry Christmas" from my Christian friends, nor a Happy Hanukkah from my Jewish friens, or a Happy whatever from other religions as long as they don't mind a Happy Solstice from me.

As far as you dinner situation, you might remind them that you aren't Christian but still enjoy spending time with them on their holy day. Perhaps they wouldn't mind reciprocating for the same reason... (family guilt trip wink )

C
C
Hi :). As I live way down under and the wheel of the year is different for me I celebrate Litha at Christmas time and as its summer the christmas festivities are normally done outside due to the heat. As it falls on our summer holidays most families get together as people are taking thier annual leave and school is out for 6 weeks. For Me its a 5 day full on celebration with ritual, family, friends, great food, normally great weather. We exchange gifts with the family at Christmas time, however at Yule time here in NZ...June I make and give away handcrafted gifts for my Family and friends. We have a big Yule dinner and even tho my Family are not religious they respect my lifestyle and are happy to enjoy my special time.

Moderated by  Ro Longstreet-Wicca 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.