Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
F
I can't believe it but my husband is actually giving vegetarianism a try! This is a fantastic opportunity for my family to do something to help the environment, aid the plight of victimized animals and improve our health all at the same time. I'm worried that he will lose interest quick if I can't make satisfying meals.

What is your best-loved vegetarian main dish recipe that seems to satiate even the meat eaters in your life?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
the easiest thing you can do, especially at this time of year when the weather turns cooler - make your best chili recipe and substitue Smart Ground for your ground meat - my hubbie still eats meat when he's not eating at home and he cannot tell it isn't meat - he knows it isn't meat because I made it but it really has enough body and with everything else you put into the chili this subsitution makes little difference.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
L
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
L
I have this AWESOME cookbook called the Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes by Robin Robertson which I think is fabulous for making meat eaters comfortable. Check it out:).

Live Abundantly!
Leah R. Patterson
The Wellness Site MOVE Makeup
Visit my Personal Blog
J
J
Susan's suggestion for Chili is a great idea if your husband and family are hesitant. It's a familiar taste and texture that will ease them into the "lifestyle". I'm not a vegetarian, though I do try to avoid red meats. I do have a friend though who makes great omelets, and she doesn't eat meat. Going totally vegan though is insane (i.e. REALLY HARD). But if you're only going vegetarian - you have a greater variety of food to select from. Oh and baked potatoes are another great veggie meal - cheese, sour cream, butter, imitation bacon bits - onions - I love rich foods :P

F
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
F
Oh, but I forgot to mention that I'd like to avoid any artificial or processed meat substitutes!

J
J
I made this awesome veggie Mexican Lasagna the other night. It was so filling. It has the added bonus of being cheap! I've posted the recipe on my site as an article.

Gluten Free Mexican Lasagna

Anything with beans or lentils is filling and has protein too. I found when I first switched to a veg diet, my stomach was really acid because I had so much from eating protein all the time. So try at every meal to have protein until he gets used to the veg diet and then you can separate your protein and carb dishes. Try Whey powder morning shakes or eggs benny or huevos. Boiled eggs, cottage cheese, tofu in stir fries, beans, etc.
Good Luck!

Last edited by Jane - FrugalLiving Ed; 10/09/09 12:33 AM.

Jane Bouey
Frugal Living
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Love the sound of the Mexican Lasagna...will try it soon.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: friendlygirl4u
I can't believe it but my husband is actually giving vegetarianism a try! This is a fantastic opportunity for my family to do something to help the environment, aid the plight of victimized animals and improve our health all at the same time. I'm worried that he will lose interest quick if I can't make satisfying meals.

What is your best-loved vegetarian main dish recipe that seems to satiate even the meat eaters in your life?

Hey friendlygirl4u and hey everybody!

All of these things sound great!

I tend towards the lasagnas and meaty stews when I'm cooking for meat eaters. I'll use tofu, nuts, mushrooms, cassava and other veggie things like that with good dense texture.

I've not had a meat eater yet who wasn't satisfied with my meals.

Instead of doing meat and potatoes, try tofu and cassava. It will provide great flavor and texture to your meals.

Here's an article that will help you in your tofu process and understanding.

Hope this helps.

F
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
F
Hi all! We love tofu so it's easy to get enough protein.

I definitely will do veggie chili (although he hates when I put in zucchini or other types of squash) and the Mexican lasagna!

So far, he's had only a few meat meals but we're steadily decreasing the amount. He's all for it now!

Thanks for the great site and recipes! Oh, I loved the article on Forbidden Rice. Interesting!

Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: friendlygirl4u
Hi all! We love tofu so it's easy to get enough protein.

I definitely will do veggie chili (although he hates when I put in zucchini or other types of squash) and the Mexican lasagna!

So far, he's had only a few meat meals but we're steadily decreasing the amount. He's all for it now!

Thanks for the great site and recipes! Oh, I loved the article on Forbidden Rice. Interesting!

Glad you loved the article and tofu. You also may want to consider working with mushrooms. I use the dried ones when I want to kick up the flavor and texture of my dishes and also when I'm tofu'd-out.

Try it out and let me know what you think. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.