Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
I took a brief look at the long and twisted journey from the historical event of Jesus' birth to our current celebration of Christmas in my Christmas Critique article.

Does anyone else think we "over" celebrate Christ's birth, and "under" celebrate his death and especially his resurrection?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
I think that Christmas has become way too commercialized, with the focus more on the presents given and received than on the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Christmas is a wonderful time of year, though it is most likely nowhere close to the time of His actual birth, that should be full of peace and joy, not stress. Since it is Christ's birthday that we are supposed to be celebrating, shouldn't we be more focused on what we can do for Him?

His birth should be celebrated, yes, but His death and resurrection should be celebrated even more. For it is through his death and resurrection that we will be able to spend eternity with Him in heaven.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
I'm right there with you on all that, Lisa. I wonder how much courage it would take to completely break away from the 12/25 nonsense and reinvent our Christian celebration of Christ's birth? Have it be a movable feast, and always put it during the Feast of Tabernacles...too counter-cultural? Hey, that would mean that the stores aren't putting up their decorations early enough!

The snag is, nowhere in Scripture does it mention that anyone's birthday is celebrated, not even Jesus'. Instead, "precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints". Makes sense to me...what greater occasion to celebrate than promotion to glory?

V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I think we over celebrate it since he was born in early fall and not in the winter. Its just another seasonal celebration that we, Christians, took from the Pagans.

I believe Jesus' death is more significant than his birth because it was His death that redeemed us from our sins.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
I agree that it is Easter that seems to be more important and worth celebrating. Since we are all sinful beings and would be lost if not for the cross. However we would be just as lost if God had not sent His Son.

The Bible does not mention anyone celebrating a birthday but they did look forward to the birth of the Savior for centuries before He was born.

Just because early Christians chose to conceal the celebration by celebrating on a pagan holiday doesn't mean they celebrated a pagan holiday. It is what and Who we celebrate that is important.

I think everything about Jesus' life is worth celebrating. Birth, death, every teaching.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
I agree! The Body of Christ will draw more people to Jesus when we live and breathe his birth, life, death, resurrection, and every word he spoke. He can be our constant meditation, permeating our days.

Isa 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.
That's my hope for my own mind this year.

BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Quote:
Isa 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You

My favorite Bible verse. smile

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.