logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gecko
Gecko
I think that it is forcing people to look at them selves and finding out that all those things you think you must live with you don't. When you get down to basics its about the world around you and the simplicity and beauty of it. That is what is important the rest are just things.

Getting back to basics....eating healthy from a garden (hey so this is what fresh food tastes like)
Conversation, books, nature !!!!!

Last edited by rdywenur; 06/18/09 06:57 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
F
Hello, Nothing's perfect & whilst economy looking bleak, people losing their jobs, homes etc., one of the upsides is whilst cutting back, making do and going without life's luxuries it is very freeing because the least number of creditors we have the less debt we are in the less worry and anxiety about how we are going to pay for all the various things we thought we needed but don't really and the more appreciative we are for what we do have and the more creative and mindful we become.

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
It's imporant to look at all the ways we waste---whether it's money, food, water, gas...time. Of all of these, time is the most finite for all of us, whether we realize it or not. Life is short, and we must be clever to live the most authentic and fruitful lives we can.
Whether shopping, cooking, or travelling, if we do it mindfully, we will make the right choices once we have made up our minds to look at what we are doing and keep ourselves well.

Mary Sweeney
Irish Culture Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
I do think that with layoffs, pared down pensions, etc. we are forced to living more simply by necessity. I do hear quite often that people with less money coming in are surprised how they can still live on what they make. Many are cooking more & eating out less. Gardening and cutting flowers rather than purchasing. Getting fewer haircuts, cars detailed, mani/pedicures, etc. It's amazing how much everyone utilizes disposable income rather than saving it for a rainy day.

I do think that this "forced" education many are being subjected to is also going to help in the long run when we have more income (hopefully) and it's put toward savings, etc. rather than the items we don't need.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I know I am living more simply. I moved into a nice motorhome and am working to eliminate things from my storages. Only so much can fit into an RV! :-) And even if you CAN fit it, there are weight limitations.

But not having rent or utilities or a mortgage is a great thing. And I can live wherever I want. Eventually I will have solar panels and that will free me up more too. :-)

F
F
Originally Posted By: Navigaar

I absolutely live simply. I make 99% of all my food from scratch. I recycle just about everything I use or have or give away. There is too much waste in this country. Buy, buy, buy. I hate it all. I hate shopping, I hate the Malls. If I need something I try to figure out a way to make it, get it at a discount or get it for free. Plus the fact most things you buy are total Cr@p! I can't tell you how many NEW things I have bought that I was so disappointed with. And TRY returning something. That's a whole different can of worms. Once someone has your money they are GONE.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Well, living simply was the norm, once upon a time, when people lived off the land. But then, things changed. And until recently, living simply was harder because there was such social pressure to consume (bigger houses, better cars, more fashionable clothes, finer restaurants, etc.) Today's economy gives everyone a reason--and an excuse--to cut back. It's ok to economize and not to spend. It's ok not to increase your credit debt. It's ok to be creative and frugal with gifts. We live simply and we love it. It's just our way. We can live on one income. We just don't buy stuff we don't need. There are some affordable luxuries we enjoy but we are not major consumers. Does it make us better people if we own the latest fashions or cars? We are happy. Living simply allows us to recognize and relish the simple pleasures in life that far exceed anything you can buy. Someone once said that those who think money can buy happiness don't have money. Those who have money know that it can't. Today's economy makes it easier to people to relate to us now. Suddenly, we're not so backward.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Tina - Living Simply 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.