Next Thread
Print Thread
#569216 12/05/09 11:00 PM
R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
What topics in history were you taught in school to later find out that it was incorrect?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Shark
Shark
J
I think most nations focus on their own victories and achievements rather than their defeats and failures. In Britain we focus on Henry V victory at Agincourt, the defeat of the Spanish Armada (which I've heard Spanish school children never learn about) and of course events in the second world war such as the Battle of Britain and D Day. My mother's generation celebrated Empire Day where they were told have good, wonderful and honourable the British Empire was. Of course, now we are no longer taught that. All empires are built on greed, violence and bigotry not love. However, it did spread English throughout the world which means we can communicate easily through this forum....

Joanna Czechowska
British Television Editor
Parakeet
Parakeet
I biggest misconception I think I was taught was that the origins of America started with the Pilgrims landing at Plymouth Rock in 1620. Every Thanksgiving we were taught this while ignoring the establishment of Jamestown, Virgina in 1607. We were taught that America was founded for religious freedom (the Pilgrims) and not for the seeking of fortune and profit like Jamestown and the Virgina Company.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
and what about the Spanish and French explorations before that? It is glossed over and forgotten.

Parakeet
Parakeet
That is true. Much of the exploration and colonization in the Americas is glossed over. American history classes often skip from 1492 to 1620 and Plymouth Rock, then to the American Revolution.

However, this is not always the fault of the instructor. In many classes they have only one semester to cover American History from 1492 to 1865. That leaves very little time for an instructor to cover four centuries of history. Under those circumstances everything taught will be superficial because there is not the time to go into greater detail. I have even had college classes like this where hundreds of years of World or American history is covered in one semester.

A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
sometimes kids have a choice between geography and history - choose one and little or no exposure to the other. It's incredible. I remember in the 8th grade, we had an Amsco paperback American History book. It wasn't that big of a book but it was about two inches thick. It covered everything up to Korean War. It took a year to go through. We did go through it too.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Too many children, and even adults, have a poor understanding of national and world geography. Many times I have heard that students, even adults, can not find U.S. States and world countries on a map. Many people only learn where countries in the world are when something important in the News happens there.

All students should at least have courses in World Geography, Cultural Anthropology and World History since 1500 CE. This would provide students with an elementary understanding of world cultures, geography and history.

R
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
R
Craig, in your opinion why has geography been neglected in the school systems?

Parakeet
Parakeet
There is a primary emphasis toward the teaching of Reading, Writing, Math and Science that all other educational disciplines tend to be ignored. Legislative efforts to improve test scores in Reading,Writing Math and Science further minimize the importance of all other courses of study. History, Geography and all of the Social Studies receive less support as a result.

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.