Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Angela Josef, chavonne, HallieWVoegele, everythingbegins, pallavi04gaur
58297 Registered Users
Forum Stats
58,297 Registered Members
417 Forums
118,899 Topics
844,095 Posts

Most users ever online: 615 @ 04/22/15 10:11 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Nancy Roussy 283
Mona - Astronomy 112
Angie 25
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading 21
Susan Helene Kramer 19
Dianne W - Editor 17
Celestine - Baptist Editor 17
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 15
Angela - Drama Movies 15
Korie - California/Yoga/Knitting Editor 13
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#568719 - 12/02/09 08:43 PM ABBA nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
Jim Colyer Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Nashville, TN
ABBA has been nominated for the Hall of Fame. They have been eligible since 1999 and should be inducted. Inductees will be announced in January, and the induction will take place in New York on March 15. A group or artist is eligible for the Hall 25 years after their first hit. ABBA hit with Waterloo in 1974. I posted about ABBA on the web:

If ABBA is "high camp," I am sure it is something they never intended. I have listened to and watched enough ABBA interviews to know that they wrote the songs and did what was in them to do at that time (1972-1982). Benny & Bjorn would compose in their summer house on an island in the Swedish Archipelago in the Baltic Sea. They sat for hours, days and weeks with piano and guitar. They had a Swedish-English dictionary. Melodies came first with a kind of pigeon English. Finished lyrics came last. They showed the songs to Agnetha and Frida, then headed for the studio. In the beginning, manager Stig Anderson thought Benny & Bjorn would be the stars and that that girls would sing backup. That changed in 1972 with "People Need Love." Benny & Bjorn would never be The Beatles whom they so admired. They needed a different approach. The girls coming to the front fit neatly with the 70s as the "women's decade." Americans were weary of the Vietnam/Watergate mentality, and Sweden was ready to rock. As for ABBA's costumes, it was fashion. Elton John, Slade and KISS came from the same era. By the way, KISS and Donna Summer are nominated for the Hall of Fame in 2010. They should go in with ABBA.

Rumor had it that the ABBA revival of the 90s began in the gay clubs of Europe. Maybe. Maybe not. My ABBA revival began when I found out about the ABBF fan club in Roosendaal, Holland. I could not stomach Madonna, Michael Jackson and Prince so in the late 80s, I threw myself headlong into ABBA. I built up a huge ABBA collection and corresponded with people from all over the world about this group. I spent 6 weeks in Stockholm in 1994. I did not meet the 4 but spent time with Gorel Hanser who has more or less become ABBA's manager since Stig passed away.

#568773 - 12/03/09 07:23 AM Re: ABBA nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame [Re: Jim Colyer]
Craig58 Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Ohio
It's about time. For me their best songs were not the ones that were there biggest sellers. When I was in high school I had three of their albums. They were much better than most people gave them credit for.

#591722 - 03/19/10 01:51 PM Re: ABBA nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame [Re: Craig58]
Jim Colyer Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Nashville, TN
ABBA is the best. They were inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame on March 15, 2010. Benny Andersson & Frida Lyngstad showed up for the ceremony. Country star Faith Hill sang "The Winner Takes It All" as Benny Andersson played the piano. ABBA was presented by The Bee Gees.

#909473 - 04/26/16 06:13 AM Re: ABBA nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame [Re: Jim Colyer]
Nancy Roussy Online   content
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Grand-M├ętis, Quebec, Canada
They are considered rock? I thought their music (which i like by the way - my favorite song of them is Take A Chance On Me) was pop.

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Spiritual Food
by Celestine - Baptist Editor
Baptist
07:13 AM
What are you looking forward to today?
by Nancy Roussy
Self Development
06:49 AM
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
06:49 AM
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
06:47 AM
What's your Typical Daily Menu?
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
06:41 AM
Did you dream last night?
by Nancy Roussy
Dreams
06:37 AM
Spiritual Quotes
by Debbie-SpiritualityEditor
Spirituality
02:39 AM
Eerie Earth and Spooky Space - It's Halloween
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
10:21 PM
Asteroid to hit Earth? No, Chinese space station!
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
10:12 PM
2017: Astronomy and Space on this day
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
10:01 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 89 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2016 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.