Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
Hi Everyone and welcome to the Distance Learning forum. I am the new editor of the Bella Online distance learning site and I look forward to helping you out by providing information about all aspects of distance learning. I have posted several new articles on the site which you can check out. The latest article is about self-motivation.
Loving your subject of study can be highly motivating and lead to success in distance learning. Following these steps could help you in deciding what it is you want to learn about.
Self Motivation Through Good Career Choice
I hope you will come back here and post your comments, suggestions and questions about this article and about any other distance learning subject that interests you.

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Hi Elizabeth, glad to see you here! I earned a degree in Fitness & Nutrition from Penn Foster College online and have been to other online schools as well. I am very supportive of distance education. You can learn so much more!

Stay healthy,

Nancy Welker
BellaOnline Yoga Editor
CEO, Nutrabeautiful, Inc.

E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
Hi Nancy. Thanks for your input. I agree with you - distance learning is great! I noticed when I studied by distance learning that I did way more work and therefore learned more than I would have in a face to face class where I always seemed to do just a little more than what was required for the course. I'm not sure why - maybe it was because I could use the extra time that became available since I didn't have to travel to the school. I also found that more of the communication with other students was on topic rather than about the shopping we did or the party we attended. Regular classes did not seem to have enough time for much discussion about the topic. I even found that to be the case with training sessions at work. Instructors always seem to spend most of their time giving their lecture leaving very little time for class input - sometimes not even for questions!!!
Although I know that online learning is not for everyone, it seems to suit me very well.

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A distance learner has to be motivated to do the work needed, and disciplined too. I just finished my associates at U of P with all A's. I have a friend who is going there also who is barely maintaining a C average. The difference is I was disciplined enough to allow the time to do the work, she waits til the last minute then does a mediocre job. But that's the same whether you go online or brick and mortar. You get out of it what you put into it.

Last edited by WalkingGranny; 01/07/10 03:04 PM.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I took an online accounting course. I thought it would be perfect for that type of learning...I was wrong...I didn't do too bad, but still.
I have taken one other online course...but it was mostly reading and submitting papers - which made it easier.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
I earned my Associates via Distant Learning and am currently applying to the University of Maryland. The key is to be disciplined. I like taking my classes online rather than physically sit in a class. (I will look for any excuse not to go! Rain, snow, sun, etc. LOL)

Michelle Roberti
Folklore and Mythology
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi everyone
I completed my BA (Internet Studies) on line graduating in 2005. I don't think online education is for everyone though. You really do have to be self-motivated to keep going, especially when the stuff is boring or there is bad or no tutoring. But there are distinct advantages. I studied when I wanted to. I took breaks (a visit to the USA/Europe for 5 weeks one Australian summer) when we wanted. I am deaf so I didn't have to struggle to follow in a classroom situation. I was also able to do 7 units in my final year while still working full-time - almost a full load. I could also study all year rather than having a 3 month summer break.

Felicity
Deafness
V
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
V
I am a distance learner working on a B.A. in English, and I love it! I am at American Public University System, and it is a great school. I agree that it takes a motivated learner. I think that being a more mature learner helps. I would not recommend it for my daughter who is about to graduate from high school. I think new high school grads need the bricks and mortar environment, unless they are extremely mature for their age. I also agree that you do more work in online classes. One recommendation I would like to make to people looking for a school for an online degree, that would be to look at schools in your state. Out-of state tuition applies, if the school is not in your state.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
That's a very good point Valerie, that there are differences based on where you live even though the classes are done online!

I am well motivated but when I tried to do distance education in the past I got stuck on the test taking part. So I'm nervous to see how they do tests nowadays. In the past they required a librarian proctor and I couldn't find any librarians near me who would proctor the test. So I couldn't finish it.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
E
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
E
I'd be interested in knowing if others have had a problem with getting proctors for their tests in distance learning classes. Is it still a problem? Are there alternatives to having a librarian proctor when there isn't a librarian available in your area? I was fortunate in distance learning courses that I took because there were a variety of choices for people who could be proctors such as teachers at almost any level as well as librarians. This gave me lots of choices so it was very helpful and easier to find a proctor.
I hope it will not be a problem for you this time around Lisa. I can think of nothing more frustrating than working on a course and then not being able to complete it - not because I personally was unable to but because of an administrative problem. Hopefully things have changed in regards to proctors.

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.