logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I Want an Exotic Pet - Now I Don't

Please leave your comments about exotic pets being released "to the wild," what to do with unwanted exotic pets, what should be done to keep the problem from occuring ever again.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
G
What a good day to post this article. KTLA.com release a news article on a man smuggling 15 live lizards into the United States by strapping them to his chest. "Agents say the lizards were concealed in a money belt that was strapped to Plank's torso. Inspectors seized two geckos, eleven skinks, and two monitor lizards. Monitor lizards are a protected species under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species." Good article by the way. Something has got to be done. for sure smuggling needs much harsher penalties. Especially for releasing into the wild. Like people who poach deer, offer awards to catch people. George

LML Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Oh, this bothers me! We have hermit crabs and while I know they aren't super exotic or anything,they do need special care-- more than people realize. I've heard parents at the Jersey beach in the summer saying they're "throw away pets" and they let the kids get them on vacation then just throw them out in the trash when they go home!

I don't know where the answer lies here except to really think about the future/continued care of an exotic before you buy it! Maybe they need a waiting period like when you buy guns smile

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I couldn't agree more. It unnerves me to no end watching hermit crabs being sold at county/state fairs. In fact, that was my first few articles when I returned to BellaOnline a ways back.

Hermit Crab Vendors

Hermit Crabs

Hermit Crabs more Information

As far as i am concerned testing, waiting period, and permits may be the key.

N
Amoeba
Amoeba
N
The best quote i can remember concerning any pet is from an unknown source. But, it is as follows; "You are forever responsible for what you have tamed." To me that means if you want to take on the responsibility to care for any pet - exotic or not - you are responsible for it - Forever!. I get truly upset at people that want a pet, and then after the newness has worn off, they relegate it to being nothing more then a trophy to collect dust. If you want to get any pet, please do some research. spend a few hours at the library, on teh net, asking experts waht is truly involved to provide the proper care necessary for that animal. If you want a parrot, you need to find out everythign they need to remain a healthy and happy bird... Once you take that animal home, you have taken on a responsibility just as if you are raising a child. That bird is solely looking to you to provide everything for its health, welfare and existance.... just as if you were taking care of a infant or child.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
"You are forever responsible for what you have tamed." I remember you telling me that quote many years ago, it had just as profound effect on me this morning. There is so much truth to that statement. Welcome back my good friend, I miss you.

I found the pictures just the other day when you guys were visiting us. Dang Australia is a long ways away! The new baby is Serephena (she will be born on Dec. 14th)

I look forward to seeing you in the forums. Do you have the newsletter coming to you? I have a lot of bounce backs from Australia (newsletter) let me know if you�re getting yours.

N
Amoeba
Amoeba
N
I am getting the newsletter from you :) That was how I found this article. Yeah I sawa picture of me from ten years ago.. well... lets say some horizons have expanded. :) Retirement tends to agree with me, and disagree with a 30 inch waistline, ahaha. Things are going good over here. Sam ( the green cheeked conure) is as "cheeky" as ever.. Please excuse the pun. A baby? as in pet or grandchild? Either way.. Grats :)

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Erika is having her second child, human type child. I know thats rare in our household lol. Tori is two years seven months old already. Erika isn't in the best of moods, she has big as truck syndrome. Thank goodness two weeks to go. I will be taking care of Tori since Erika will have to have a c-section. That is, with a lot of help from George. (Taking care Tori, not c-section) Thought you may be wondering since we both do simple operations and injections ect lol.

I am so thrilled, you sound very happy. Heck, waistline, I lost mine years ago. It is good to have my partner in crime back in the forums. I need a closeup shot of your bird, please?

All your birds get rather cheeky, I wonder why that is? They are spoiled rotten! I want to hear more about the green cheeked conure - good name - Sam.

The kids don't know it yet but the new baby is going to be nicknamed Sam. They have picked Serephena as a name.

The tread above may just fancy your interests. Good brain - great thoughts.

By the way, I am still using Waynes logo he made for me(the macaw) and I still love it.

You haven't seen the new house in South Dakota Before and after shots

Talk with you soon.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.