Print Thread
#562895 11/08/09 10:55 PM
A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
What customs do you follow during the Christmas holidays?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Amoeba
Amoeba
M
I am so happy you brought this up. I was curious about that, too. This year we are planning on something different, which is a bit intimidating for me. I'm so used to doing most of the holidays with my family and visiting his family on Christmas Eve for a little while, but this year we're doing it differently.

Thanksgiving, I'm still not sure what we're doing. I don't even know if I'm supposed to cook something or what I'm supposed to cook if we go with his family. Same issue for Christmas. I don't understand their holiday customs, yet.

In the past, the men went in one room to drink and smoke while the women were in another room with all the kids and doing all the cooking. I usually end up sitting in silence, really bored, because I have nothing to say and I really hate segregation of the sexes. Especially when they only crack the door open and yell, "Mija, traeme una cerveza!" and that's all I hear from my husband the whole night. That is not my idea of holiday fun. Plus, keeping my kids up until midnight when I have to deal with them on Christmas morning isn't fun either.

What is the traditional holiday for a Hispanic household? I don't even really know it, except what I've been exposed to, which I doubt is the traditional approach.

The only food I know for the holidays is pazole, but if it's not at my house, I'm not cooking it, so I don't know what to bring. Any ideas?

A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
I know about the posada. That is where people knock on neighbor's doors asking if there is room at the inn. I do not know how this concludes exactly.

Here is a site about Christmas in Mexico

What you need to do is find a custom you might want to incorporate into your life and see if you can get it started with the family. Since there are lots of children (do you have children?), get them involved. Since you're bored, make your own amusement - children can be a lot of fun. See if you can find another lady there to help you.

See if the ladies will help you with the language - Say, 'despacio, por favor' (slow please). If you're willing, they will be willing to help you.
Ask them to show you how to make specialty dishes or crafts. This has to be a two-way street - you're going to have to make a tremendous effort if you want this to work.

M
Amoeba
Amoeba
M
I have children, yes, and they're a handful, which does not allow me to relax while I'm there. I understand and speak Spanish fluently. That's not the issue.

I think that I find it hard to find common ground when I don't have my husband supporting me or helping me before he ditches me with a bunch of strangers who are not interested in my being there.

I understand that I have to make an effort and I am doing that, but I don't like it because I'm not getting much response back, so I'm pedaling one way right now.

I'm going to look at the site you plugged in and gather a few other ideas, hopefully.

A
Angie Offline OP
Chimpanzee
OP Offline
Chimpanzee
A
It's hard to say what the answer is for you. Perhaps you can devote your time to the children - do some crafts with them - kids can be fun and they are generally open and loving.

Perhaps you can have a traditional American holiday at your house next time and put everyone to work.

Moderated by  Valerie Hispanic Culture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.