logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#561687 11/04/09 05:38 AM
OP Offline
Hi All just joined the forum feeling emotionally confused with no one to talk to who understands. Been happily with my partner for 16 yrs ,he doesnt want kids and I have been happy most of the time but obviously being a woman have sometimes thought about having kids but decided it wasnt for me. Now at 40 am going through a difficult time and feeling a bit of an outcast with friends and work collegues. Sick of people asking me why i have no children and feeling that i have to justify this to people. obviously at my age there will be mixed emotions on my part. just wanted to chat to people who dont think having no kids is abnormal!!!!!!!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
chestnut #561699 11/04/09 07:39 AM
F
F
Hang in there. Not too many more years before people stop asking. The feeling of being an outcast, I suspect, will always be there a little if only because you (me, we) are on a different path from the majority. Friends who had kids will eventually return as their children start to have a life of their own. Hopefully those friends haven't changed too much and you can get right back to enjoying their company as before kids.

fastfox #561700 11/04/09 07:47 AM
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
Aw, you definitely are not abnormal. Although I sometimes feel the exact same way. People have a really cruddy way of making me feel as if I'm almost a horrible person for being child free. We just have to learn to move on and remind ourselves that we don't live for the world, we live for ourselves. Your choice is your own, there's no shame in that.

You have to come to terms that people may never stop asking. Think about it, when you become an old lady, people will still be asking you why you never had children. I've come to terms with this. People will always ask no matter what I say or do. All I can do is grow some thicker skin, and continue living my life as I see fit.

Jellyroll #561926 11/04/09 04:38 PM
L
L
Hi Chestnut, Being a childfree 40ish woman can definitely mess with one's mind. The hormones are ridiculous, not to mention the people who have no clue what you are going through! I believe that as long as CF is for you and you truly feel comfortable in your own skin, that you will feel less and less like an "outcast". I too had felt like an outcast for a few years. I had always felt pretty "normal" and when all of our lives took shape and I was the only woman in the family (or group of friends, etc.) without children, it made me feel a sense of panic. Like the world had kept turning but I had somehow jumped off. Like there was an exclusive club that I could not be a member of. I now felt "different" and in many ways I think I projected this image upon myself negatively. I really think that (most) people don't really care all that much about my CF status, even family. Sometimes offhand remarks are said that may sting, but I really don't think it's personal, it's just where that person is coming from in their life's experience. I still feel "different" - offbeat and unique - but see it as a good thing! If you are a courteous human being and people give you a hard time for being you, they are the ones with the problem! You are not alone!!!!

chestnut #561945 11/04/09 05:37 PM
C
Shark
Shark
C
Hi chestnut ** Any time you feel like an outcast just come read the postings on this thread/forum. We are an elite group of 'out of the box' thinkers here. Sooo do something spontanious ~ go shopping and buy something special, go to a movie, book a special weekend away with your s/o, get a facial/pedicure. There are so many things you can affort to do/ have time to do since you don't have rugrats to deal with.

Enjoy your freedom and besides you've got your s/o all to yourself. lovers

cp

cream pie #563481 11/10/09 12:46 PM
H
H
"Be yourself, there are already so many others"

chestnut #563534 11/10/09 03:26 PM
M
Shark
Shark
M
Well, there are two good things one is that you're living the life that you and your husband have chosen (so congrats on that) The other, is that you are 40, and soon people will let up! I'm 28 and I'm thinking soon people will stop asking like when I'm 30...lol. I guess this is untrue. Anyway, the answer to these people's intrusive and judgemental comments is as follows. "MY REPRODUCTIVE CHOICE IS A PERSONAL MATTER WHICH I DON'T DISCUSS WITH ANYONE BUT MY HUSBAND." Also, look into joining your local NO KIDDING chapter. I recently did this.

missyT #563640 11/10/09 11:21 PM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I turned 35 last year and thought people would stop asking but no such luck! I agree it's annoying but you know why you've made your decision, and you just have to find some cool friends who share your passions to spend time with.

There's no help for the workplace though generally...most people have kids and it's hard not to feel like the odd one out. I guess I should be used to it (I stick out in all sorts of other ways) but everyone likes to feel a sense of belonging now and then! That's why I come to this forum.

cream pie #563644 11/10/09 11:32 PM
B
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
B
Quote:
There are so many things you can affort to do/ have time to do since you don't have rugrats to deal with.

Tonight I'm sitting in front of the computer. My husband is playing Xbox w/headset while my dog pitter-patters around on the floor. No noises other than that. No screaming, hyper kids around. That's paradise to me!

I like to quote Forrest Gump when people ask about why I don't want kids -- "it's, you know, one less thing!". Hope I could cheer you up!

beth_m #563672 11/11/09 04:50 AM
S
Shark
Shark
S
Misstalia and Schnicky: people will never ever stop asking, if anything (as Jellyroll, I think, once said), when you turn 45 or 50 they will change the question to "why didn't you have children?". And I can very well imagine that you might get some pity looks, too. So always be prepared, lol.

Last edited by Solalux; 11/11/09 04:51 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.