logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
My son said he has not seen the Mona Lisa in person, but he did have this to say for us:

"I've seen lots of DaVinci's works in person though, at the Prado Museum in Spain, and at Uffizi Gallery in Florence, Italy. Having seen all the greats in person though, I can say without any hesitation that the most amazing painting talent I have seen is Rembrandt. His paintings are almost like Polaroid snapshots. I'm really not an expert at all on paintings, but seeing Rembrandts work in person literally left me speechless. It doesn't seem possible that a human hand can do what he did.

My own favorite painter, though, is Carravagio. Very dark (literally and figuratively) but the emotion and way he depicts light and shadow is great."

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
One of my favorite paintings is by Leonardo da Vinci.
It is actually his only painting in the U.S.

It is called "Ginevra de' Benci," (1474/1478) and it can be seen at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.

Once when I was there a woman said that she had also seen the "Mona Lisa" and she felt that "Ginevra" was more beautiful.

What do you think?

Camille Gizzarelli
Bellaonline.com Art Appreciation Editor
OP Offline
The face is far more beautiful than Mona Lisa, but, more austere. Mona Lisa has that little smile that endears her to everyone.

Ginervra de' Benci

da Vinci's work is amazingly beautiful.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 11/17/09 07:09 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Phyllis, thank you for the visual of Ginevra.

I am partial to her being my favorite of the two.

She has a slight blush on the cheeks, shiny curls, and the sheerest material on the top of her dress.

She is very peaceful and calming to look at.

Camille Gizzarelli
OP Offline
Yes, she is. She is very feminine. A "girly girl" as my daughter would say. Mona Lisa is lovely, and very beautiful in her simplicity. For aesthetic reasons, I think Ginervra is my favorite.

Last edited by Phyllis, Native American; 11/17/09 11:18 PM.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
Both are beautiful depictions of lovely women from that age.

I have the "Mona Lisa" in my living room! LOL Although I will agree that the other, Ginerva, is much prettier. (Much more delicate.)

I will also agree with Phyllis-Corvaggio is my favorite as well. (I am partial to the Baroque period, myself.)
His artwork is just like looking at a picture to me, for he captures the essence of the moment in exquisite detail.)

There is a painting that he did entitled "Judith and Holofernes"(1598.) Artemisia Gentileschi painted her own entitled "Judith Decapitating Holofernes" (1620.) Both capture the same moment, however there are some differences. The detail in both are incredible and Gentileschi "follows" Coravaggio in that she uses a dark background, but I believe she captures the moment far better than Corvaggio does. Gentileschi's painting is a bit "softer" if you will, whereas Coravaggio's is painting is a much "sharper image." (Both are incredible)

Would you agree?
Judith and Helefernes/Coravaggio

Judith Decapitating Helefernes/ Gentileschi

At any period of time I still can't imagine how these artists painted these pictures...their talent is unimaginable!)

I would like to add that Toulouse Lautrec is another favorite. (His artistry alone makes me want to visit Paris!)

I recently went to the Met in NYC not too long ago. Unfortunately I did not get to see any paintings as I was focused mainly on ancient Mesopotamian, Greek and Roman art. I plan on going again so that I may view the paintings, which I missed on my last visit.

I try to visit the National Gallery of Art in DC when I can, and made a visit about two years ago. However,many years ago I took my then three year old daughter to see some early works of Picasso. They were quite unlike what we are familiar with in connection with his name and works. (Many of the items we saw were mostly drawings if my memory doesn't deceive me, and quite honestly really nothing stood out.)
However, while we were there, my baby daughter and I, I asked her opinion about she was viewing. And, as always "out of the mouth of babes" she gave it "the raspberry." LOL

Michelle Roberti
Folklore and Mythology
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Since we're on the subject of Caravaggio, he is also one of my favorite artists.

Has anyone read the book, "The Lost Painting"?

It is "the quest for a Caravaggio masterpiece" by Jonathan Harr.

Camille Gizzarelli
J
J
Mona Lisa , NOT gOD, BUT A real person.

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I saw the picture in Louvre long, long ago. Even then you couldn't get very close to it and it was surprisingly small. I also found it odd actually to see the original of such a famous image.

Since it's also called La Gioconda, it makes sense that the portrait is of Lisa del Giocondo.

I've never seen her smile as mischievous, it looks a bit to me like the smile of someone who has a happy secret that they're enjoying, but neither telling the secret nor flaunting the happiness.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Art Appreciation 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.