logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
In my opinion: * A strong defense and priority on National Security - not cutting defense spending and trying members of the CIA. * Pride in America and its greatness, not apologizing to other countries for what we are and what we stand for. * Liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all, not "spreading the wealth". * A free market society, not government controlled: health care, auto industry, banking industry, insurance industry, regulating private companies pay,etc. * Energy Independence through drilling in the US, coal, natural gas, and nuclear power; not costly unproven technologies like solar and wind. * A robust economy with corporate and capital gains tax cuts to stimulate economic growth and the hiring of workers, not a wasteful non-stimulus that has not stopped the wide-spread loss of jobs. * A safe and secure border and the return of the millions of illegal aliens to their countries, not open borders and legalizing those already here illegally. * Abiding by the Constitution that is the framework for the greatest government mankind has known, not looking for ways around its policies and procedures. I'm sure that I'm missing some so feel free to add your thoughts.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
Even the CIA is not above the law. Break the law, be tried. It's one thing that makes America Great. Our unwillingness to be like everyone else in this regard.

Pride for a country can quickly become nationalism which can be dangerous, you don't want to love a country just because of where it is, you want to love it for what it is. I wouldn't follow a leader just because he's the leader either.

You cannot have liberty or pursuit of happiness if basic civil rights are ignored and make no mistake Basic Health Care is a Human Right that cannot be ignored. Every westernized civilization has it other than the US.

The market is not free when big business gets freebies from the government but citizens are left out in the cold. This bail out was nothing more than more corporate welfare. If we have to go back to the tax rate of the 1950's to clean up this mess then so be it.

Wind and Solar are proven technologies that can be used in conjunction with the old tried and true, though polluted and dangerous ways. Thankfully no one said that when the Wheel was invented. We Americans pride ourselves on innovation why stop with Coal?

Cutting Corporate and capital gains taxes has not proved to be the economic stimulus you want to believe that it is. History does not support this assumption. Been there, done that, now the economy is in a sink hole.

If not for undocumented workers putting money into social security we'd be in worse trouble than we already are. I really feel bad for the children who were brought over here illegally who are now undocumented through no fault of their own. They are Americans at this point and to send them back to what is essentially a foreign land for them would be inhumane.

Yes, lets abide by the constitution, but I suggest reading it first. The constitution is a living and breathing document, it is supposed to change as time changes. But the basic fundamentals should remain.

No society has lasted forever, and certainly not one stuck in the past with old technologies, old ideas, and old ways of doing things.

Unfortunately few in our government today are willing to suffer the consequences of going against their party to do what needs to be done. I'm not real sure there is a Republican or a Democrat party anymore. Right now they all look like a bunch of idiots.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

C
Shark
Shark
C
I agree, Stephanie- that's why I'm an Independant.

Cindy L Merrill
Parakeet
Parakeet
Independents Rock

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Aaah - a voice of reason - very well said Stephanie. There is no question that our country needs a bit of fixing up right now - working together seems like a better way to go rather than continuing the devisive bashing that has become all to common place these days.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
R
OP Offline
R
There were no laws broken by the CIA and it's a fact that their interrogation of Khalid Sheik Mohammed and others thwarted a planned terrorist attack in Los Angeles in 2005. That's not a made up story, it's a matter of public record. Our health care system by many standards is the best in the world. Not perfect by any means, but still the best. No one in this country, legal or not, is denied health care. Emergency rooms by law must treat everyone that walks in whether they have insurance or not. I don't feel it's my responsibility or my children's responsibility to have to be burdened with the massive debt that we would face if health care was given to everyone. I'm not against alternative energy, it's just that the cost of wind and solar for the same amount of energy they provide is prohibitive. How about this for been there done that: In 1980 President Reagan's policies of reducing corporate and income taxes resulted in the largest peacetime economic boom in American history and nearly 35 million additional jobs. The cuts increased incentives to work and stimulated growth. If you think it was preferential to the rich, reductions for the lowest-income groups were the largest because President Reagan doubled the personal exemption, increased the standard deduction, and tripled the earned income tax credit (EITC), which provides net cash for single-parent families with children at the lowest income levels. These changes eliminated income tax liability altogether for over 4 million lower-income families. So yeah, reducing taxes does stimulate the economy. Social Security is already broke and the amount of contributions illegals make to our society financially is far-outweighed by the jobs and no or low cost services they use. I understand the point about the children born in this country by illegal aliens, but unless we keep them here by themselves, the only alternative is to deport them. I think reading the constitution and understanding it is a great idea and I wish more liberals would do it. It is absolutely not a living, breathing document. It is a framework for government, thus the term "framers" akin to founding fathers. There is a mechanism for changes to the document which the government has used 27 times called amendments. The last being in 1992 I believe. Agreed, the basic fundamentals should remain, but the current administration seems to want to change that. See takeover of private sectors and restricting pay. I agree also that our society should not be stuck in the past with old technologies, old ideas, and old ways of doing things (see above - greatest economic boom, etc.). With high unemployment, higher taxes, bigger government and industry killing policies like Cap and Trade, there will be less innovation and less economic growth. That's a fact.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Some excellent points made there ReaganRules.

One of the biggest problems with the illegal alien population is that they ARE illegal aliens. They pay no taxes, no social security, no medicaid, etc. Yet they do reap the benefits of these services, and others (such as walking into ERs and being treated with or without insurance.)

A friend sent me a politically incorrect email - but it does get its point across:

Joe Legal vs. Jose Illegal

Here is an example of why hiring illegal aliens is not economically productive for
the State of California ( or any other state for that matter ) ....

You have 2 families...

"Joe Legal" and "Jose Illegal".
Both families have 2 parents, 2 children and live in California .

"Joe Legal"
Works in construction, has a Social Security Number, and makes $25.00 per hour with payroll taxes deducted...

"Jose Illegal"
Also works in construction, has "NO" Social Security Number, and gets paid $15.00 cash "under the table".

Joe Legal...$25.00 per hour x 40 hours, $1000.00 per week, $52,000 per year

Now take 30% away for state and federal taxes........

Joe Legal now has $31,231.00

Jose Illegal...$15.00 per hour x 40 hours, $600.00 per week, $31,200.00 per year

Jose Illegal pays no taxes...

Jose Illegal now has $31,200.00

Joe Legal pays for him and his family Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance with limited coverage, $1000.00 per month

$12,000.00 per year,

Joe Legal now has $19,231.00

Jose Illegal has full Medical and Dental coverage through the state and local clinics at a cost of $0.00 per year

Jose Illegal still has $31,200.00

Joe Legal makes too much money is not eligible for Food Stamps or welfare

Joe Legal pays for food, $1,000.00 per month, $12,000.00 per year

Joe Legal now has $7,231.00

Jose Illegal has no documented income and is eligible for Food Stamps and Welfare

Jose Illegal still has $31,200.00

Joe Legal pays rent of $1,000.00 per month, $12,000.00 per year

Joe Legal is now in the hole, minus (-) $4,769.00

Jose Illegal receives a $500 per month Federal rent subsidy

Jose Illegal pays rent $500.00 per month, $6,000.00 per year

Jose Illegal still has $25,200.00

Joe Legal now works overtime on Saturdays or gets a part time job after work.

Jose Illegal has nights and weekends off to enjoy with his family.

Joe Legal's and Jose Illegal's children both attend the same school.

Joe Legal pays for his children's lunches while:

Jose illegal's children get a government sponsored lunch.

Jose Illegal's children have an after school ESL program.

Joe Legal's children go home.

The solution is not necessarily to send everyone back to the country they came from - but to make them legal citizens - that are paying taxes and are held accountalbe for being in this country and help support the country they are living in.

I'm not sure why that is so difficult..

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
W
Shark
Shark
W
Michelle- that is the best story I have read in a long time. Right on! I have to keep coming back to read it smile

-whoisjohngalt

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I think we did that once before, 1986 - a blanket pardon to those who came illegally. It provided that illegals would receive their green card and then later apply for citizenship. After that, the problem grew.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: ReaganRules

Our health care system by many standards is the best in the world. Not perfect by any means, but still the best. No one in this country, legal or not, is denied health care. Emergency rooms by law must treat everyone that walks in whether they have insurance or not. I don't feel it's my responsibility or my children's responsibility to have to be burdened with the massive debt that we would face if health care was given to everyone.

If you consider 37th to be the best we can do, or "best in the world" then you and I don't share the same definition of "best", by any standard.

It's your responsibility by the very fortunate luck that you were born in the USA free. And if you're religious at all, then it's even more your responsibility. Try reading Mathew 25:36.

And by "your" responsibility I mean All our responsibly. I am, after all, my brother's keeper.

It's lame to say you can go to the Emergency room to get treatment. You can't get a colonoscopy, you can't get a pap smear, you can't get a mammogram. I tell you what you can get, you can be taken care of (and yes very well) if you're already dying, having a heart attack or a stroke from uncontrolled or unrecognized high blood pressure. You can get end of life treatment when you're dying of cancer. But you're not going to get NEEDED diagnostic treatment, or medications for chronic conditions. By the time you go to ER for these things, you're basically already dead.

Oh and if you're lucky enough to live, you won't want to be a live because make no mistake that hospital WILL come after you for the money. Mark my words.

I'm one of the lucky ones, but There but for the GRACE of God go I.

And for those who say our Government isn't supposed to do this, wrong answer, this is EXACTLY what Government should do and would be good at. There are many things government should not be doing, but Health Care is one that Government should administer, and can do a fabulous job at doing. When you have to serve the masses Government is the very best and cheapest way.

Stephanie Watson
Weight Loss Editor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.