Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
In good times and bad, I'm slowly learning to thank God for His blessings and mercies, even in the midst of a disaster.
Most recent (tiny disaster) example: my hubby, sick with the flu/fever/etc, passed out on the way from bathroom to bedroom in the middle of the night. The sound of a grown man collapsing onto a cement floor is awful. But he did not hit his head, thank you Lord, and he is well on his way back to health now.

Article on this thought at http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art57960.asp .

Sponsored Post Advertisement
K
K
Romans 8:28 tells us "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." All means ALL in this verse, and we truly must be thankful even when things are dark and not going well in our lives. I recently went through nearly two years of the darkest, toughtest time of my life, but God used that time as a refiner's fire for me and I came out the other side a stronger person and a much stronger Christian for it. God used that time to get me into my Bible and into my devotion time with Him. He also got me into a position where I had no choice but to rely solely on Him, because there was no one else to rely on. Even in the past few months when some serious health problems have come up with both my new husband and me, Romans 8:28 has been in the forefront of my mind, and has been the Scripture that God has given me every single time I have taken one of the problems to Him in prayer. Our God is good all the time and all the time God is good!

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Kathi, I am sure you are now a beautiful vessel, fit for God's use. You have a marvelous perspective on how God is sanctifying you. I find myself afraid of the refiner's fire--not fond of pain of any kind. And you went right to the heart of things with "Our God is good all the time". Trusting that God is Good goes a long way toward helping me endure whatever comes my way.

K
K
LeeAnn - the greatest thing that has come out of one of my trials is that a young lady who had turned away from God because of how she had seen "Christians" living has now returned to church, rededicated her life to Christ and has done a complete turnaround. Believe me, I would go through the heartache and the pain all over again, every single day, if it means bringing one more person into God's sheepfold, or bringing a stray sheep back into the fold.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Kathi,
Boy, those "Christians" do a lot of damage, don't they? If only people saw Christ in us. If only people saw Christ in me, heard Him in my words, and He wasn't drowned out by my selfishness, conceit, bad mood or uncaring words.
We know that it's all about Jesus and what He did for us. It's all about getting into a relationship with Him. But others can't see that until they see proof of Him living in us. I tremble to think of God showing me, one day, all the times I failed to be the fragrance of Christ in someone's life. I'll see if I can be a faithful witness for the rest of today...

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
It took a long time for me to learn that we have to be thankful for good AND bad things (not just to tolerate bad things).

I used to get a daily devotional email (can't remember who it was by - darn memory) but I clearly remember one of the things he said.

It was about the mountain and the valley. He said that experiences in the valley are tough - it is dark and we can't ofetn see where we are going - but if you think about it, that is where things grow the most. There is not much growing on top of a mountsin where we can see clearly all that is around us.

So God gives us these "vallley experiences" to strengthen us and make us grow more.

And like Kathi, once we have been through these rough times - we have an eperience that we can share with others.

It is hard to witness to someone when your life is all sunshine and nothing bad ever happens - because they look at you like "so what do you know?"

But if you have walked in the same shoes and can STILL be thankful - then that is faith!

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
So right, Michelle.
Aside from 'count it all joy when you fall into various trials', I like this passage:
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ. 2 Corinthians 1:3-5

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I love the song, "Praise God from whom all blessings flow, praise Him all creatures here below." Everything that happens to us is a chance to give thanks.

K
K
The older I get the more thankful I am for more things. I am so thankful for my salvation, and I can't wait to get to heaven to tell Him in person how much I appreciate His paying my sin debt for me. It's amazing to me how much closer I feel I am drawing in my walk with God now that I am purposely getting up earlier every morning to spend some quiet, quality time in my devotions with Him before I go charging out the door to deal with the real world.

L
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
L
Have you seen that poster that says:
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says "Oh no! She's awake!"

Love that. You know, I'm sure, that the spiritual world is AT LEAST as real as the one outside our door. It's hard to keep that in mind all the time. A great book for visualizing this is C.S. Lewis' "The Great Divorce", a quick but mind-blowing read.

Today I'm especially thankful that God has brought me to this stage in my life, where my time is largely mine to do with what I please, with a plan in hand on how to redeem the time! Now if I could just figure out how to fit it all in...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.