#556338 10/14/09 09:07 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
I'd almost forgotten the benefits of being criticized, so I had to re-read the article I wrote early last year. How to Use Criticism

Once when I was much younger I received some criticism that hurt me so badly that it knocked me off my center. I thought I really sucked as a journalist and could never improve.

Criticism can hurt, the trick is to extract your emotions from the situation and just listen. If there's merit in the critique then use it, if not then let it go. In either case, it's important to keep it moving, keep producing, keep working, keep striving and do not quit!

Last edited by leahmullen; 10/14/09 09:09 PM.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Also I remember something I read in Lena Nozizwe's book's "Starring in Your Own Life." Lena said she once had a super critical boss that she had to meet with regularly. So after these meetings Lena would pull out a list of all of her good qualities and read it to keep the criticisms in perspective.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
I read your article and it was just what I needed to read tonight. I am a new editor here and on my way to "graduating." However, I received a most degrading email today from someone who read one of my articles. At first, I felt "knocked off center" and a little shaken by it. I didn't expect to be "chewed out" in the manner by which I was, it was really quite rude. I did keep in mind that criticisms can work in our favor and read it as calm and cool as I could. So with keeping in mind that everyone is entitled to their opinion I responded cordially, thankfully and with much civility; even though I wanted to rip this person a new one. There is a gracious way to accept criticism but there is also a way to criticize, as well. I was ripped to shreds verbally but I will not allow this one person, whom I do not know, to deter or frighten me.

Last edited by Michelle_folk/myth_Editor; 10/15/09 12:36 AM.

Michelle Roberti
Folklore and Mythology
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Hi Michelle,

Welcome to the Bella family!!! Oh how I remember those first few articles I posted when I first came to Bella and how scared I was every time I opened my email bracing myself for a note saying I had no business writing about life coaching since I'm a journalist interested in self-help, but not a life coach. I feared opening my mail for like the first year with Bella. LOL.

Criticism and the fear of it can be debilitating. But think of it like this. You had to apply and be CHOSEN to write for the site. Management has vetted you and trained you and therefore trusts you to provide good content. And you will.

The email you received as you said was the opinion of one person. I'm so glad you responded cordially. It's best to kill them with kindness. Congratulations on posting your first articles. It's not easy to write and post even **one** article so you should be very proud of yourself:) I look forward to reading your work.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

M
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
M
Thanks Leah, and really and truly your article was of great help to me. Unbeknownst to you, you were my "angel" during those agonizing hours. YOU keep those great articles you write coming and I will defintely be reading..
Now, if you really want to laugh at my expense I will grant it to you. I've written about the "psychic vampire" and in my forum posted a eerie story about a visitation I had a few years back. Now I'm afraid to go to sleep! I spooked myself! LOL

Michelle Roberti
Folklore and Mythology
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Hi Michelle, I'm glad you find my articles useful. Thank you for reading.

Let me go read this scary story on your forum now--while it's still light outside. LOL.

take care

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Moderated by  leahmullen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.