#487743 01/24/09 12:47 PM
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
I'm currently working on a review of one of my new all time favorite self-help books Stress-Proof Your Life: Smart Ways to Relax and Re-energize by Elisabeth Wilson.

The key to stress management, according to Wilson, is to "build relaxation into your life, hour by hour, day by day."

While I'm writing this post and the review I'm listening to some wonderful music that makes me feel terrific. When I finish the article I'm not going to jump headlong into the next thing. Instead I'm going to reward myself by taking a stretch while I think: "you finished something today, you go GURL!"

Wilson urges readers to seek out good feelings like a "pleasure seeking missle." Counter your stress with feelings of well-being, joy, pleasure, and contentment.

Do you do this? When you finish a project (large or small) do you take the time to sit back and feel good about your accomplishments?

Last edited by leahmullen; 02/11/09 04:57 PM.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Since reading Elisabeth Wilson's book, I haven't read another on stress management. I have however taken her advice. While I tend to work alot I make sure I take frequent rests to just enjoy myself for a little while--sometimes only five minutes or so, but enough to feel re-energized.

What I'd like to do for 2010 is really research foods that help eliminate stress.

As someone who writes in multiple genres who ALWAYS has a deadline pending,two children etc, I definitely need to learn as many stress management techniques as I can.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
I just took on another project this week and I did so without letting go of anything that I'm currently doing so stress management is going to be REALLY important in the coming months.

I enjoy what I do, however constant looming deadlines can cause a bit of consternation from time to time.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
My whole plan for stress proofing was to move into a motorhome and travel around.

That part sounds nice but I am still, eight months after moving into Serenity, dealing with my entire life's accumulation of stuff, with being too broke to fix the things in the RV that need fixing, and too broke to actually drive anywhere.

I am sad and discouraged and do not know how to fix this mental slump. I have the idea that once I can get rid of the stuff i can mentally move away from those heavy chains and have a more relaxed lifestyle. I really want to not have stress but it seems i must go through a lot of it now to come out the other side. :-(

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Jilly,

I hear you on that one. I have quite a bit of things to let go of as well--phsycially/emotionally. I realize it's a process. It takes time.

Don't forget to keep in mind why you moved and what you are getting out of the experience. Try to focus more on the perks than the drawbacks.

I say that because I have this love/hate thing with where I live--New York. This is the media capital of the world!!!! And I'm a writer!!!! What better place to be...?!?! Yet sometimes I wish I was back in surburban PA avoiding newspapers and spending most of my free time shopping at the malls on the weekends. I'd have walk in closets filled with clothes, but then where would I wear them? I have no space in cramped New York,bt I've got 1000s of places to go.

So without fixing anything, or thinking of what you'd like to change what are the perks you have right now? What are the benefits of your new lifestyle?

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
the perks, the perks:

The eventual perks will involve traveling, but since that is not an option yet...the current perks involve being in AZ, having a very inexpensive lifestyle, getting to live by my own rules and decorate how i feel like it (b/c hubby is living in FL), having wonderful pets to keep me company, working utilities, a comfortable bed, enough stored food to eat for a while, the ability to sleep in as long as I like, having an internet connection, being physically healthy and able to work out, having a laptop and a good cell phone, having a cute little beater car, not having to have roommates, being able to stay in resorts with pools and other nice amenities, and being able to talk to great people in these forums. :-)

How was that? I do feel a little better.

Last edited by Jilly; 10/01/09 09:47 PM.
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Hi Jilly,

That's quite a long list of perks! I know just focusing on one of my perks makes me feel better. For example I haven't worked full time in about 12 years because I've chosen to stay home with children. The money (or lack thereof) is a big drawback, but I love to see my daughter's face when *I* get her off of the bus personally myself instead of a babysitter.

And I love to hear about my son's day as soon as school is over and sometimes I'll even take a nap in the middle of the day which I know is adding to my health and well being. It's hard not to think about the full salary I could be earning but there are some things that money just can't buy. I try to spend time every day thinking about those things.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Leah those sound like good perks - you have many places to go in NYC, you are spending time with your kids and able to nap. Good stuff. And who needs a big salary if you have enough to live on? smile

I just need to get to the live on part, myself.

I will keep thinking about my perks. Perks, perks, perks.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Jilly,

Yes I try to focus on those things. I have my health, naps, writing, and can see my children before and right after school. I'm always here for them. The money thing is worrisome, but based on what I read in What Happy People Know, EVERYONE is worried about money, no matter how much we have. Unfortunately, it's the American way. I just try not to worry about it too much.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

Moderated by  leahmullen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.