Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GrannyH Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
G
I am going through all the old family photo and would like to share them in an album with all family members. It seems to me the best way would be to put them all on a CD and copy that for each person. Which program do you think would be best to use? I would want to include genealogical information directly on the slide so it can be viewed with the photo. My thought is to use Power Point, but if there is something more appropriate I'd like to hear about it.

The second question then is: No one in the family wants to store the actual photos. Would they have a place (local historical society?) or is it OK to toss them?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
D
hi granny h, i don't know if this will be of help to you...i am also involved in sharing family history & photographs; i have scanned photos into my computer, then copied them onto memory sticks. i have then made m/s word documents with individuals details in text, and inserted a photo, and copied these to the sticks also. all photo files & m/s docs can then be accessed by recipients through their computer (or internetcafe/library computer.) i have then been able to print out a small pamphlet from these files, of the m/s docs,(text & photo), which has gone to each recipient along with the memory stick. i believe a hyperlink can also be used, to access photo file and m/s word document alongside each other on computer. i have a relative who needs to view all of this on a cd..unfortunately i don't know how to do this (sorry!) but have asked another family member to do this for me..it's also good to 'spread the load' a little! good luck with your project, dalriana.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
GrannyH, I attended a genealogical lecture a couple of weeks ago and the speaker mentioned writing his book using software he downloaded from Make your own photo book with Blurb He then uploaded the information. They printed a book for him to review and proof and then he ordered the number he wanted. I have no idea how much this costs but the book was very nice looking.

If nothing else, perhaps it will give you some ideas for setting up something.

I downloaded the software to see what it was all about. The only thing I saw that was different from what I mentioned was that the tutorial mentioned that once uploaded you cannot change anything. That is not what the speaker said but that would need to be studied and discussed before uploading if you were to publish your book with them.

I would guess too that once created in their software, it would be 'held captive' and you would not be able to export it to anothe software package. More studying to do.

Last edited by Angie; 10/08/09 07:51 PM.
G
GrannyH Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
G
Thanks to both of you for your input. I'll look into both to see what fits best. I may want another option.

Angie, I thought you would have an opinion on the second question as well. That may be my biggest decision to make.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
Originally Posted By: GrannyH

The second question then is: No one in the family wants to store the actual photos. Would they have a place (local historical society?) or is it OK to toss them?

Our society is happy to take photographs, however, we want photographs that pertain to our locality and they need to be identified.

My mother's pictures taken in her hometown would be welcome there but not here where she lived for so many years. We sometimes take scrapbooks. You need to talk to your local historical society or library. You might want the advice of your state library. Their conservators might be able to give you some good advice once they see what you have.

Last edited by Angie; 10/09/09 06:31 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Don't toss the pictures. If you decided you did not want them, I know someone who loves older pictures, will either try to learn who they are, restore some of them, etc. If you decide you want to discard them, please let me know and I will get her snail mail so you can send them to her. I'll need to verify with her she wants them, but I bet she does. :-)

Tina

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
G
GrannyH Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
G
Tina and Angie, after the advice of the last two comments, I mailed a box of old photos to a county historical museum in Wisconsin this past friday. This is the county where most of the photos were taken according to the stamp on the folders. These are actually of relatives of an ancestor, so they don't fit into my family tree. Many were already identified, I added more, then also included what I had in the way of genealogical information for those people who had moved to South Dakota (taken from headstones).

Do you think they will hate or love this package when they get it???

I'm so glad to have that much out of my possession, I can't tell you. I'm feeling better about what I still have to deal with.

Thanks to both of you. GrannyH

Last edited by GrannyH; 11/02/09 03:10 PM.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
If it were my Society, they would be jumping with joy! Sorry for the delay. I was sick and had miterms the past few weeks. Thank you for your comments. Maybe the pictures sent will help someone there. It is great that you sent them.

Tina

Ebook: Getting Started in Genealogy

Tina Sansone
Ebook Manager
GENEALOGY Editor
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I know our society loves to receive old photos. They will determine the best way to preserve them. As you said, it is out of your hands now.

G
GrannyH Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
G
An update, which leads to another question.

I received a very nice thank you letter from this society and a form to sign which gives them permission to decide the disposition of each article I sent. They said in the letter than members were familiar with the family. So now I ask myself if I should have made an effort to reach the family instead of sending this to the society. I have no way of knowing, but there is the possiblity the family would not have given this permission. I don't think I mentioned before but there were about 30 letters from parent-to-daughter and sister-to-sister, some involving the death of child.

When I mailed this package I gave them the right to do what they decided was best, so I will sign this form. But now I wonder if I ever really had that right. I don't think I'd do anything different, given the choice, but what do you think?

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
You did the right thing. They were yours to give and the library will care for them.

G
GrannyH Offline OP
Zebra
OP Offline
Zebra
G
Thanks, I needed to hear those words.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  GtownmaGenealogy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:59 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.