logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Over the years pet monkey attacks are reported by the news. Though, admittedly, not nearly as often as dog attacks. Back in late February 2009 a women was mauled by her 200 pound pet chimpanzee. Though, reportedly she had given the chimp a Xanax in a cup of tea. What are your thoughts on this subject?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Why did she give her chimp Xanax? That's a little odd, unless it was on doctor's orders. It's supposed to relax people but i guess it didn't relax the chimp.

S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Dogs very rarely attack their owners.

The question here as well as another thread regarding monkeys as pets is really based on wild vs. domesticated animals. Domesticated animals have been such for centuries - beginning when human beings were even more uncivilized than we are now. Since we did domesticate them - of course solely to serve our own purposes - we now have an obligation to continue to take care of them.

Wild animals that are enslaved into being pets also only serve to fufill human needs - whether that need is to feel special because you own an unusual animal or because you feel that the animal needs your care. Unless you are a licensed wildlife caretaker you cannot care properly for a wild animal and those that think otherwise are most likely in need of some emotional counseling.

We must stop thinking that all the world has to offer is there to amuse us in some way. There are more than enough domesticated animals that need good homes so to reach into the wild for animal company is just not necessary.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
The Xanax comment was kind of interesting. When the incident happened she had told the press about the Xanax. However, later when questioned by police she never mentioned the Xanax.

I know medications react very differently with me. What is supposed to put me to sleep will keep my mind racing all night. Xanax is anti anxiety. Who knows how it would react on an animal.

Mostly the animal attacks I hear about are abused animals.

Wild verses domestic? How long do animals need to be domesticated? Cats have been domesticated for thousands of years. Skunks only for a couple of hundred years. Skunks domesticated easily. That is my opinion and I will stand by it. wink some animals I doubt will ever be domesticated raccoons, monkeys, and apes to mention a few. Humans domesticated nicely lol.

Pet Monkeys

S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
The question still remains - just because we can...should we?? And if the answer is yes - what gives us this right to oversee the lives of animals that are not yet domesticated - we do have the obligation to watch over those that are already unable to survive without our daily ministrations but when do we draw the line that enough is enough?

Susan Hopf
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Read up on Exotic Pets Where is the line drawn? I have exotics as pets. I also have two cats that were feral kittens. Is it OK for me to have a pet skunk? How about a pet monkey? Maybe a pet tiger? What do YOU think??

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Animals that can no longer manage in the wild are our responsibility, is how I see it. Domesticated pets, farm animals, wild animals born into captivity and feral creatures. I would like to see these creatures well cared for with a nice quality of life.

Animals that CAN manage on their own also need our help, but in this case to shepard their habitats and natural resources.

I personally would draw the line at species that encourage poaching wild things to become captives. This might mean not having parrots...I have to give this more thought. My family always had parrots, but perhaps that is really just a selfish decision. So many parrots are taken from the wild. I feel it's fine to keep birds born in captivity, but the nature of the trade only encourages the poaching, i think.

Anyway, it's something for me to think further on.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Parrots should not be taken out of the wild. However, there is certainly enough captive bred�s to supply the parrot people. A number of years ago it was near impossible to breed parrots in captivity. A lot has been learned since then. We need more effective means to stop poachers. More countries need to work together to preserve the wildlife we have left. Unfortunately, the heads of some of these countries are profiting from the poaching.
The habitat these animals live in needs to be preserved. So much is being lost. The polar bear�s plight was brought to light very well in the movie Earth.

Last edited by Diana-Exotic Pets Editor; 10/04/09 04:22 PM.
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
"The sun, the moon and the stars would have disappeared long ago... had they happened to be within the reach of predatory human hands." Havelock Ellis

S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Mostly I believe that we should tread carefully upon this earth that we have so abused. The earth was meant for all to share and by all that means the animals, plants and humans - in equality. I love that quote from Ellis and I agree with it whole-heartedly.

I agree with Jilly that the procurement of exotic pets often leads to habitat devastation and should be watched very closely. I have friends with parrots and they seem like they make great companions but do they need us to survive or are they surviving despite us - it is a conflicted subject.

Diana - I am glad you are here promoting responsible pet decision making.

Susan Hopf
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.