#483900 01/11/09 01:04 AM
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I would love a good recipe for Jambalya, a catfish po-boy, and bread pudding - my favorite dishes when I visit New Orleans

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Dianne, This is the recipe that I use in my kitchens over the years. [b] [i]FRIED CATFISH Po' BOY[/b][/i] 4 (4 TO 6 OZ.) catfish fillets 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 1 large, whole egg 1/4 cup buttermilk 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon kosher salt 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 6 tablespoons salad oil 2 pieces, baguette; 9-inches long 1/2 cup Creole mayonnaise, recipe follows 2 cups lettuce, shredded 2 medium, ripe tomatoes,sliced thin [b] CREOLE MAYONNAISE[/b] 1/4 cup mayonnaise 1 tablespoon green onions, minced 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish 2 teaspoons Creole Mustard or other grain mustard 1 teaspoon capers 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce Make the Creole Mayonnaise by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl and setting aside, covered, till needed. Rinse catfish and pat dry. Measure flour into a pie plate. Beat egg and milk together in another pie plate. In a third pie plate, combine cornmeal with cayenne, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Coat half the fillets lightly with flour, then dip into egg mixture. Then dredge fillets in seasoned cornmeal mixture. Meanwhile, heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a 10-inch frying pan (or 6 tablespoons in a 12-inch frying pan) over medium heat. Fry breaded fillets until crisp and golden brown on one side, about 3 to 4 minutes, then turn fillets over and cook until fish is opaque in the center of the thickest part, about 3 minutes more. Drain fish well on paper towels. Coat and cook remaining fillets. While frying fish, warm bread in a 350 degree F. oven for 10 minutes. Slice bread sections in half lengthwise. Spread the cut insides with mayonnaise. Inside each bread section arrange 2 fried fish fillet and 1/2 of the lettuce and tomato Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings. NOTE: Catfish has long been the star of the favorite Southern social institution, the "fish-fry". Small, thin catfish fillets fry up best. As an alternative to the crisp cornmeal coating we use here, many cooks prefer to coat their catfish in fine corn flour, equal portions corn flour and yellow cornmeal, or cornmeal and all-purpose flour. Experiment to decide which coating you like best. Remember recipes are only a guide, adjust them to your own taste as become comfortable with them. JR

Last edited by Chef JR; 01/24/09 01:37 PM.
Chef JR #490697 02/03/09 03:27 PM
Amoeba
Amoeba
Chef JR

Your recipe sounds great - thank you for posting it. I can't wait to give it a try. The Creole Mayo is devine.

Sandie Jarrett
Cajun and Creole Editor
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
ok...4 months later... I tried the recipe...yummmy!!! Thank you!!!
I have another request though, I'm not sure if it's considered creole though...but when I go to New Orleans I love Beiget's. Do you have a recipe for that or is it best to order the mix online?
Thanks!!!

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Amoeba
Amoeba
Several years ago, I tried a bunch of recipes and wasn't happy with the results. I like the mix from Cafe du Monde. I think you can also order in from King Arthur Flour as well.

Sandie Jarrett
Cajun and Creole Editor
HI Dianne, It is always better to make your own if you have the time and the know how. This recipe will work for the home cook. It is a really good recipe. BEIGNETS 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening 1/4

Chef JR #517681 05/03/09 12:13 PM
Hi, lets try this again. Yes they are a Creole dish. BEIGNETS also call Creole Doughnuts 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening 1/4 cup granulated sugar 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup boiling water 1/2 cup evaporated milk, undiluted, room temperature 1/2 pkg. active dry yeast 1/4 cup lukewarm water 1 whole large egg, beaten 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour Confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar) Combine the shortening, sugar and salt in a bowl and pour the boiling water over them. Add the milk and let stand until warm. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water, add to the milk mixture along with the beaten egg. Stir in 2 cups of flour. Beat. Add enough flour to make a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl. Grease top of dough, cover with wax paper and a cloth. Chill until ready to use. Roll dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. Then cut into squares about 2-inches square. DO NOT LET DOUGH RISE BEFORE FRYING. Fry in a preheated 360 degree F. fryer, a few at a time, until puffed and golden, about 3 minutes, turning once. Drain on paper towels and while still warm sprinkle generously (the secret) with Confectioners' sugar serve. Must be served while still warm. Should yield about 30 beignets. Enjoy JR

Last edited by Chef JR; 05/03/09 12:34 PM.
Chef JR #528183 06/12/09 10:08 PM
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I have some pork shoulder blade steaks that I usually coat in the Cajun Dry Rub and pan fry. Do you have any other suggestions for what to do with them?

Ann Marie Hodrick
Fashion Jewelry Editor
Ann Marie Try any Etouffee recipe, just make sure you cut the meat into serving size and you may have to adjust the cooking time. I'm sure you will enjoy doing the pork this way. Just serve over rice. Chef JR

Dianne W Here is the recipe I use in my kitchens, it is the best tasting one I have ever had. 1 lb. butter, plus 4 oz. 1 lb. granulated sugar 15 large whole eggs, room temperature Vanilla extract to taste 2 tsp. nutmeg 1 tbsp. cinnamon 1 quart heavy cream 1 quart half & half French bread, stale, as needed 2 cups chocolate chips Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy with the paddle attachment in a stand mixer. Add the eggs slowly, in three additions, waiting until the eggs absorb and scraping before each addition. Add the vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Switch to the whip and add the cream and half and half. So now that you have your custard, you need to soak some bread in it. You need enough stale bread (brioche, croissants, or other bread-remove crusty crusts) to soak up almost all of the custard right when you mix it in. Then cover it and soak it over night. Next day about 1 hour before baking the pudding, remove the pan from the refrigerator, and mix in the desired amount of CHOCOLATE CHIPS (or ripe bananas, caramel apples, scales of a sea serpent, eye of newt, or whatever tickles your fancy.) Let the pudding sit at room temperature for 45 minutes. then evenly sprinkle the top with 1- cup of granulated sugar. Bake it, covered with foil, in a 325 degree F. oven for 60 to 90 minutes, or until its set. If you like, pull the foil off 10 minutes before its done to brown the top. SERVING SUGGESTION: Cut the pudding into 36 equal-size rectangles and place on heated dessert plates. Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons of the chocolate sauce on each portion of pudding. Serve topped with freshly whipped cream. Refrigerate any leftover pudding and sauces. Yield: one 2-inch hotel pan. I know this makes a lot of pudding, but it's great for a party. Plus you can make deep-fried bread pudding with the leftovers. Have a great day, Chef JR

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.