Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Cindy Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
When a social worker tells a 67 year old diabetic that he can't get his SNAP food credit increased ( even though dietic food costs 35% more on average), you know something is terribly wrong:
My husband and I just got turned down for a SNAP Food credit increase ( He's diabetic and we live on SSI). Which would you prefer: An extra $100 for dietic food, or $180,000 a month for Hospital costs if or when John has a Diabetic blackout or slips into a Coma? You already pay for his SSI and VA, so you decide. If Obama wants to prevent complications associated with diabeties, obesity, heart disease and other ailments, wouldn't it make sense to issue specified food vouchers/ Dietic foods/Care boxes to VA clinics,Food pantries and other institutions that address the needs of Low income Americans? Why is it that Government Commodities ( often delivered to Non Profit Organizations) are extremely high in Sodium and Carbs?
Worst of all, not ONE version of the Healthcare proposals include tax deductions or incentives to encourage responsible, healthy lifestyles: Therefore, Costs will skyrocket.

Cindy L Merrill
Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
I am sorry, I don't know what SNAP is. But one of the first things I learned when I went to the Dietician was not to rely on special foods.

1) It is very possible to eat good nutritionally balanced meals without the extra expense. Choosing a healthy lifestyle does not mean higher cost. As far as food is concerned it often means lower cost.

2) If you learn to eat real foods you can eat more comfortably when you are away from home - at friends or restaurants.

Check out the Low Carb forum here for help in making foods lower in carbohydrates. Sodium is used as a preservative in most canned or packaged foods, so it is better if you start from scratch to prepare your meals and that does save a lot of money.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Cindy, being diabetic myself I know how challenging it can be at the grocery store. Over a year ago we started ordering from Angel Food Ministries. Their meats are very lean and their veggies are frozen.

There are no income limitations to participate and they also donate food to those in need. We have been very satisfied with the quantity and quality and are saving about $100/month.

Please check out their website to see if there is a distrbution center in your area. It's well worth giving it a try.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
C
Cindy Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
:
My husband and I requested a SNAP Food credit increase, we've been turned down twice. A week ago we received notice that our account would be changed from $102 a month to $101. I see this as a subtle threat; or prehaps a warning to stay quiet. ( He's type 2 diabetic and we live on SSI Have you ever tried eating healthy nutritious meals with only $25 a week for 2 people? No wonder there's so much anger toward the government in Southern Kentucky! If The Government Commodities
( often delivered to Non Profit Organizations) are extremely high in Sodium and Carbs. I have no choice, however; because of the high demand, I'm only allowed to visit the foodpantry once a month, so it's that or go hungry.
John and I will continue to suffer in silence, So, Please tell our story. Tell DHS to stop the mindgames against diabetic clents who are only trying to feed themselves properly.

Cindy L Merrill

Moderated by  C. Kimura 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.