D
LOVE the painting, btw.
Just thought I should add that. smile

Deb Frost
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Oh, dear, that sounds so sad, Deb. But the great thing about dogs is how they just get up and get on with stuff. I know I went through agonies when I realised Monty was losing his sight but he's adapted to it so well it's humbling. I've learnt a lot. Monty's loss of sight is not unusual in a dog his age, but why did Patch lose his?

Originally Posted By: Deb - ALASKA
Yep, you have the Border collie personality down pat, that's for sure <g>. In the original picture, the big round eyes in the BC just reminded me SO much of our "Patch". When he was younger, he had "normal" BC eyes, and could drill holes in you until you were literally forced to respond by throwing the toy - ball, frisbee, Kong, whatever ... but mostly the balls.

Since going blind at age two (he his six now), his eyes have no visible pupil anymore and look a lot more like those in your photo <sigh>. It doesn't stop "Patch" trying to stare us down and is ever ready to chase his balls, but we often don't know whether to laugh or cry when we realize he's giving "the stare" to a chair we are no longer sitting in.

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
They do adapt remarkably well, especially if you don't treat them as though they are handicapped or fragile. Patch lost his eyesight from Progressive Retinal Degeneration - none curable but at least, thankfully, not painful. It faded slowly - he was working towards being an excellent agility dog when it really started heading downhill ... taking that away from him (the agility, not the eyesight) was probably the worst. Patch was totally blind by age two but you wouldn't know it to see him race around the house and yard. He still has jobs to do, which keep him more than content. The off leash voice commands he learned during agility training stood us all in good stead in helping him navigate his environment so he doesn't have to always be on leash. smile

Deb Frost
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
He sounds like such a great dog...

I'm answering this and I know I've already answered this before - I can't think what's happened to that post, though...

There's nothing quite like a dog, is there.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jana - Creativity Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.