Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#548382 09/14/09 12:16 PM
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
With great thankfulness, I can say I have never had a time in my life when not having enough to eat was an issue. It is unbearably sad that so many Americans live on the edge when it comes to food. That's what my latest article, Breadline USA, is about.

Susan Gaissert, Democratic Party Editor
Democratic Party Website
Democratic Party Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Shark
Shark
C
Just got back from a food pantry 30 minutes ago.
I had to give away half of it in order to get a ride, since the bus doesn't run after 6 pm.
Our SNAP Food credit ran out last week and we won't get more until Oct.12.

Cindy L Merrill
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Oh, Cindy, I wouldn't know what you are talking about if I hadn't read Breadline USA. You wrote once about something else, didn't you? Your husband's illness? You are going through a very rough time. Please let me know if I can help -- for example, are you sure you are getting all the help you can from the federal government and your state?

Someone told me recently that congressional representatives help people with problems like yours -- they have a staff that works on cases. Have you ever looked into that?

Please let me know if I can research anything for you or help in any way. Contact me privately via the CONTACT icon on the site, if you'd like.

Last edited by Susan - Democratic Party; 09/15/09 12:11 PM.

Democratic Party Website
Democratic Party Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Cindy, my heart and prayers go out to you and your husband. Negotiating through government programs can be a frustrating task. But don't give up. As Susan suggested, contact everyone you can think of. Congressional members for your state and district in DC, the Governor's office, State congressional members, and even your local elected officials. Some phone books include the entire list of contact numbers and addresses.

Here's a few more suggestions, I'm hoping will be of help.

Have you checked on the Angel Food Ministries website for a sponsoring organization near you? The food boxes we purchase are outstanding, but they also donate boxes to those in need. As I understand it, each Angel Food distribution center is sponsored by a local charitable organization which may offer additional resources, services, and assistance.

Freecycle.org is another local based group whose main goal is to minimize waste. However, in our group, members also offer and request free services, such as transportation, and even food. This is a yahoo based group, but you don't have to have a yahoo email to participate. I've made so many friends and connections in my years of participation. The vast majority of our members are willing and eager to help those in need whenever we can. You may find a group member who can provide free transportation or one who is experienced in working with government agencies. The basic rule for all groups is any thing offered, or any request fulfilled must be FREE.

Have you contacted any state or national Diabetes organizations? They may have emergency funds or additional resources for your husband.

Investigating these three, while you are contacting everyone in government would be my recommendation. Government can work slowly. But there may be other organizations who can provide immediate assistance.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Thank you,"lcp," for those great suggestions. Cindy, let me know if you need help contacting people.

Susan

Democratic Party Website
Democratic Party Forum
C
Shark
Shark
C
You name the blog, and I'll bet i've been on it at least once. not only have I emailed my senators and Representatives, but I posted messages to every online media site I could find. We have a Freecycle in our area-asked for garden produce, so far, no response. Haven't heard of a September Angel Food's box- my landlady thinks they suspended it, because her son, who's unemployed,with two kids to feed, couldn't get one. My husband's SSI check will be here in 10 days: We got enough food until then...I think.

Cindy L Merrill
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Cindy, please contact me privately if you would like me to write any letters on your behalf. Until then, all my best wishes, and I hope one of the people you've reached out to gets in touch.

If you ever see that you're going to run out of food in a week, please email me your address privately.

Susan

Democratic Party Website
Democratic Party Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Cindy, there are 3 churches listed in your area as host sites for Angel Food. Their addresses and phone numbers are on the website.

www.angelfoodministries.com

click on Find a Site and enter your city, state and zip code and click on within 30 miles. They have maps with little church icons. Click on the icon and a window will pop up the name and phone number. Click on the additional information tab in that window and it shows the address.

There's one in Berea and Danville. Not sure why your landlady's son couldn't get one. It may be he didn't contact them soon enough for the shipment, or they didn't have funds to provide for a donated box. Shipments only come once a month.

As for the politicians, they don't respond well to emails. You need to call their closest office and talk with a staff member. Find out their office hours and get there in person. Maybe someone on Freecycle can provide transportation or something else to help.

Start calling and making appointments with government agencies and officials. This month I'm hoping you can squeak by, but I'm praying there's a more permanent solution out there.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
S
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
S
Again,"lcp," thanks so much. You seem to be a natural social worker. Cindy, I hope lcp's advice helps you.

Democratic Party Website
Democratic Party Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks for the compliment, however I would not use that term, as I have no education in social work. Being a retired tax practitioner, I have helped numerous clients in whatever way I could over the years.

Working in that field for over 20 years, I know first hand government assistance can sometimes end up being a double blade sword. One must be knowledgable and careful when negotiating the "System." It's just not feasible, financially or otherwise, for us to depend on government. Programs come and go, eligibility requirements change. Government programs are not free and they don't last forever.

We must to be creative and persistent in exploring all possible sources of assistance for ourselve and others. When each of us makes it a priority to personally help just one individual each week, I strongly believe this Country will come together and thrive. Americans helping Americans.

I'm by no means perfect, and not successful in all attempts to help others. But I keep trying to set a good example by what I do, not what I say.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.