Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Hi!

I second everything Michelle said, lol!

As you sort through everything, if something has so much sentimental value for you, wait forty eight hours.

If, after forty eight hours you are so relieved that you didn't sell it, then you can do the happy dance.

If, after forty eight hours you are so ready for that item to be out of your RV, then you can still do the happy dance, lol, and mark it for sale.

Is your dog crate bulky? I definitely think you should keep it in case of an emergency, like Michelle said.

But, they do make relatively inexpensive collapsible dog crates that store nicely--as it they fold up into a nice little square, lol! Maybe it's something to think about down the road.

I do understand about not wanting to get rid of somethings for when you move back into a house. That's not a bad thought, especially as it'd be so nice not to have to purchase new dishes and such right after closing on your house.

Is there anyway that some of the items that you know you'll use again can be stored with Dan? You could also make a list of the of the items that you are not sure what to do with, and then note what it would cost to replace them when you do move into a house again.

I'm not sure what your time line is though--if you plan on being int the RV for a long time, then maybe it's best to sell things now.

Also, keep in mind that Target has GREAT deals on housewares and such! smile

Good luck!!

Last edited by Cook4Kids&Adoption Editor; 09/15/09 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
This is very helpful, Michelle, thank you. Okay, here is my thought on those items:

1. cat condo - i am tentatively trying it out for the chihuahua. He seems to like it as a den, plus it's small and lightweight. If he rejects it later, i'll sell it. :-)

2. Dog crate - okay, I'll hold onto that. I will either break it down and place it under the bed, or find room in the RV basements.

3. Tools - will put in basements but not sure I can keep the bucket. My basements are not that tall.

hmmmm, let me look at the throw pillows. I have a pillow fetish. :-) Should I try to sell the ones i don't keep on CL or donate them? Do you think if I made a 'lot' of them someone might give me a few dollars?

Last edited by Jilly; 09/15/09 08:48 PM.
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Throw pillows ...

- one for bed with two plus toys (I already have like six bed pillows).
- three for couch
- one for each Captain's chair

And that's all the room i have! lol. Okay, that leaves me with ten throw pillows to get rid of. I will pile them on the driver's floor and decide what to do with them (CL or donate).

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Quote:
If the dishes are China handed down through generations or are wedding gifts - keep. Otherwise, sell.

Um, the dishes are just Target things. Okay, no need to keep. In the CL/donate pile!

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Quote:
Antiques I would keep, just because of their value (and a rocking chair? Come on - you can never get rid of a rocking chair).

But you have no way of knowing if your dinette would even look good in the next house you buy. Same for the lamps and stools (antiques look good anywhere).

Alrighty. I love the rocking chair, even though the frabric is falling off. It's a fab antique. The stools are just plain old Target wooden stools - so I will sell those. The dinette is very heavy and I really have no need for it - you are right. Okay, so to sell it. Lamps - the antiques i will keep and the rest I will sell or donate. Great! Let me go move things around and then see what my next things to tackle are.

This is awesome, thank you.

Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Brandii, this is great info, thank you!!

Hmm, going down the list. The dog crate isn't bulky - it's a plastic shell that nests into itself for storage. I like it better than a wire one b/c this one is better for flying or emergencies. Easy to carry. Both my dogs could be crammed in it if I had to use it that way. Thank you for helping me bounce these ideas around! I guess a wire crate isn't what I need, although I do have a folding wire doggie playpen that I use at campgrounds, as well.

I don't expect to be living in a house again for a very long time. That's why I am not sure whether to store any of the antiques or just get rid of everything. Dan would like to get rid of everything but the treadmill and setee, but I have more attachment to a few things, like framed paintings and such. Hard to deal with all this!

We are actually thinking of getting the storage down to only a few things and perhaps making a shed on Dan's Aunt's land in Oklahoma.

Dan does not like the antiques so there is no way he will put any of these things in whatever small apartment he rents.

A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
The two of you have to come to a consensus. What is he giving up? It sounds like you are giving up a lot. If you know this is going to be your life, then you may as well not keep much of it.

Last edited by Angie; 09/15/09 09:31 PM.
Jilly Offline OP
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Hi Angie. I won't be living with Dan, so that is my compromise. I told him to rent whatever he likes and that I will be living happily in my RV. :-)

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I would take photos of EVERYTHING and then rotate them as the background of your PC. Then release them to new loving homes. You can appreciate their beauty whenever you want to - and also know that they are being loved and enjoyed by a new owner every day. Your rocking chair could become an elderly woman's favorite spot where she sits all day long knitting things. You will have the joy of seeing it, she will have the joy of "living in it".

I don't mean to be icky but pillows get tons of dust mites and other things in them. This could be the perfect time to release those pillows into the world and to keep only a few - and to get fresh new pillows over time. For your health smile Again you can appreciate the photos of the old pillows and in the meantime find new even cooler pillows.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
A
Chimpanzee
Chimpanzee
A
I see. An RV doesn't have room for a lot of antiques unless they are small and useful. I think Lisa is right. Takes photos of everything and they will be your remembrances. The only thing is, if there is something that is truly dear to your heart, keep it. If it is only so so, then let it go.

LOL, I need to take that piece of advice to my own heart.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  KellyJayne - Organization 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.