Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#547272 09/08/09 03:50 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Okay, I must admit, my recent article was inspired by a very annoying interaction with someone. They could NOT stop complaining LOL!!!

Sometimes, we just have to be happy anyway HA HA.

Happy Anyway

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
maybe this woman at the bank has no one to talk to. maybe she's lonely and has one of the hardest jobs a (strong) woman can do. It was really nice of you to cheer her up and not judge;) Inspiration Deanna!

freemenow #549305 09/17/09 11:19 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Hi Freemenow!

I definitely believe she does have a really hard job. But when I tried pointing out the positive to her, I think I just annoyed her. She didn't want to see the good that surrounded her.

Deanna Joseph

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
That is a very nice article and an interesting point of discussion. I know for me, sometimes I just want to vent to a sympathetic ear. I can't do that with DH as he tries to 'fix' things or gets irritated at my 'complaining.' So it's possible she just wanted someone to say, "yeah, it's hard, i know what you mean." As a verbal hug, sorta.

It's a fine line - what is complaining and what is venting out stress? is it appropriate to seek verbal comfort outside the self? These are questions I grapple with. :-)

Jilly #549417 09/17/09 03:29 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Oh absolutely Jill! I definitely know how it feels to want a sympathetic ear. We all deserve the chance to vent or rant, or whatever. But there comes a point when it's no longer a vent. And I notice this with myself... I'll vent once. Then I'll need to vent again. Then again. And I'm not feeling any better. No matter how often I vent, I won't feel better. So what I'm really doing is complaining.

Sometimes we really do just have to decide to change our thinking about something. If my many rants aren't helping me, I know it's time to become proactive. I notice when I'm proactive, that I don't feel the need to vent as much. In fact, usually not at all because I'm making changes.

Sometimes there are just things I can't change. Like my husband being grumpy all the time because of work. I used to complain to my girlfriend nearly every day about it. One day I just got sick of hearing myself, and when she asked how he was I said "he's fine." and I changed the subject to something that was pleasant to talk about. It wasn't going to change my situation, so why bother LOL.

I just don't want to get bogged down in all the negative stuff. I want to be happy. I want to see the silver lining. And sometimes it's a struggle. Sometimes I just have to make myself be happy anyway LOL.

Deanna Joseph

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Deanna, I realize this with my son sometimes.

I am active in my local Spectrum support group - and we have an email list that people can ask questions on and get advice about. It's not as easy as a forum like this, but it works pretty well.

But there is one Mom on there that said the other day, "I just wish {her son} could say 'I love you Mommy' just once like I hear other kids do." I nearly cried when I read this.

I get so frustrated with Michael sometimes because he doesn't get stuff, and I am terrified about his future. BUT, he can talk to me - at great lengths! He can use the bathroom all by himself. He is in regular classes and is graduating from high school this year. He has even been running cross country and track since last year, so will get a Letterman's jacket this year!

He may not say he loves me, but at least he can.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Thanks for sharing this Michelle. You are so loving and open. Michael is really blessed to have you for a momma.

Deanna Joseph

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Quote:
I just don't want to get bogged down in all the negative stuff. I want to be happy. I want to see the silver lining. And sometimes it's a struggle. Sometimes I just have to make myself be happy anyway

I agree totally. In fact, Lisa and a bunch of others and I have been wrestling over this very concept for over a year. We actually have bracelets that we use to change wrists to remind us of when we are complaining. We've tried to go 21 days without complaining and I don't think a one of us has got there yet. :-)

I want to be happy too. I try to remind myself of this constantly, but it just seems easiest when I am not around others. I know it's less of a challenge that way...but there it is.

Michelle, that is sweet about your awareness of your son. You know what he can and cannot do and accept/love him as is. You are grateful for what he CAN do. I would love to be like this with everyone.

Last edited by Jilly; 09/18/09 05:41 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Oh trust me, this awareness is by no means a permanent thing. it just occasionally hits me. blush

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Hey Jilly! I do the bracelet too... I got the one from A Complaint Free World (loved that book).

Nope, I haven't made it to 21 days, but I have made it to 18! smile

Deanna Joseph

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
18 days is an amazing accomplishment! The longest I made it was around two weeks more than a year ago.

I have a tendency to not be able to focus on more than one big task at a time, and I consider that a 'big task' in that it requires a lot of mental effort. So during my Big Cleanout I am not worrying about the not complaining business. I hope to be able to give that good attention and effort soon. :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Yvonnie-Inspired 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.