Print Thread
C
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
C
It is amazing to me how far science has come since the day, August 25, 1609, that Galileo demonstrated his new and improved telescope to Venetian lawmakers. Of course, his beliefs that the earth revolved around the sun ended up angering the papacy to the point where they put him under house arrest until his death in 1642, but...had it not been for him (and several other intrepid scientists of the day) who knows where science would be.

I have a friend who is a fan of alternate histories. Ones that force the reader to take a second look at history. What if the British had won the American Revolution? What if the Nazis had not lost to the Allies in WWII. With all of the developments, scientific and otherwise during the Renaissance, I wonder what would have happened had the ruins of Ancient Rome not been discovered to inspire the Italians to a rebirth of classical ideals?

How many things in art, music, culture, and science would happened much later if at all had this period in time not existed.

Thoughts?

Christine Sharbrough
Painting Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
Many discoveries in science could have been made at almost the same time by someone else, scientific advancements are often like a wave that carries several people forward at nearly the same time. Galileo was not the first to play with lenses, he wasn't neven the first to turn them to the skies, but he WAS the first to publish his discoveries. I was just reading today (in a Discover magazine article about Jupiter's moon Europa) that both Galileo and the German astronomer Simon Marius both claimed to have been the first to discover the 4 moons of Jupiter, but Marius must have dragged his feet when it came to writing about it. Similarly Darwin was not the only scientist to have figured out that species evolve over time, but he hurried his findings into print when he learned that someone else was writing along the same lines, so he is the one we credit with the idea.
That "tide in human events" holds true in other areas too. The buried ruins of Pompeii may have been discovered by accident when a farmer was digging a well, but the Romans left a lot of fairly well preserved remains scattered all over southern Europe, and farmers were plowing up artifacts all the time. I guess that genius artists like Giotto and Masacchio would have been experimenting with new ways of painting no matter what was percolating in society at the time.
Now political history might be a different thing, although I wonder if the time schedules of major changes would have been only off by a little. If the South had won the War Between the States, do you think we would still have slavery? Not a chance!
It IS fun to think about these things, though.

C
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
C
Ah Claybird you bring up many fine points! The dreaded "publish or perish" scenario is a great one! Unfortunately it's not the early bird who gets the worm (or the credit) it's the one who can put their thoughts together coherently and publish them first.

For example, in the field of Chemistry, Antoine Lavoisier (1743-1794) was known for using the results of others experiments without giving them credit, drawing conclusions from them and then touting the results as purely his own. Joseph Priestly, a scientist prior to Lavoisier, is more commonly considered the one who discovered oxygen by virtue of publishing his results quicker. However, the scientist that originally discovered oxygen was neither Lavoisier nor Priestly but a Swedish scientist Karl Scheele who discovered it in 1771.

Unfortunately, Scheele�s publisher did not publish his findings for years and by the time they appeared, Priestly had already been given credit for the discovery. [and presumably Sheele fired that publisher right quick!]

Not sure I'd want to be the one who published during these time periods though -- Galileo ended up under house arrest and Lavoisier was beheaded. Not fates that would compel me to put my ideas into action, I'll tell you. <smile>

Christine Sharbrough
Painting Editor

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/08/24 07:45 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.