logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kajo125 Offline OP
OP Offline
What do I do to make the curls last longer than 15 minutes after using my curling iron? My hair is about to the middle of my back. It will curl nicely but they fall out quickly, sometimes before I leave the house. I don't use alot of hairspray, hate the stiffness and only blow dry when I have to, not often. My hair is in good shape but could probably use a trim job.
Do I mousse it while damp? Gel???
Thanks

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Use some kind of styling mousse or gel while it is wet. dry it and curl it. You can also use something like Hot Sets by Redken. You spray that on each strand right before you curl it with a curling iron. Hot Sets may give you more stiffness than you prefer but it will only be in the curls.

kajo125 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Lynne.. I took your advice this morning and still have curls.

H
H
Oh, this was so good to learn! Next Lynne will try to help me through "how to curl, turn under, or flip" with a flat iron. I paid so much money for it and am so disappointed, because I can't do what it "says it will". I don't want straight hair. So maybe the "styling gel" is the answer. I was thinking more in the "twist of the wrist" so to speak. I'm so GLAD we have Lynne. SUPER!

Shark
Shark
I'm willing to try out letting a hair stylist use an iron since I can't really do this myself and would probably burn my hair. I tried perms and wash and sets, but the results were not what I was expecting. Perms were too damaging and wash and sets usually dissapeared after a couple of hours (max).
Even if it is for a day or two and done sporadically, I could give this one a try.

Guess what? I give massages and reiki. More info here!
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
Quote:
wash and sets usually dissapeared after a couple of hours

If a wet set does not stay in your hair, it is not likely that a curling iron curl will stay in. Did you use styling product such as mousse or gel with your wet set?

Shark
Shark
Originally Posted By: Lynne Chapman
If a wet set does not stay in your hair, it is not likely that a curling iron curl will stay in. Did you use styling product such as mousse or gel with your wet set?

No, that was not used. I will surely ask for it before I try again. Thx for the advice

Shark
Shark
Additional info requested. smile

I'm thinking about doing the curling with an iron myself, but I need 3 things:

1. A recommendation for a good curling iron
2. A good step by step guide to learn the ropes
3. What good products I need to prevent damage (as best as possible) or to make the curls last longer then 15 minutes...

I'll give some more info on my hair: it's fine, it's blonde, it's long (about 3-4" past the shoulders) and it's healthy, considering having had 2 perms on it, the last perm being done approx. 2 years ago.
I intend to use it about twice a week, probably in the weekend.
I usually just shampoo my hair but use conditioner in alteration (one time only shampoo, then shampoo + conditioner, the next time only shampoo, etc.)
I'll do it myself, duh... but I think it won't be easy at first. I would gladly use benders or rollers or anything else that isn't as damaging if I only had someone to roll them in for me. (yes, I can go to a salon, but after a while, this starts to become much too expensive for my budget)

I would consider perming it again if it wasn't for the skin problem and the hair breakage... I am aware that long term heat exposure due to hair dryers and/or curling irons can severely damage the hair as well...

Sry about all the questions. I hope all who has experience with curling irons can help me a bit. laugh

H
H
I, too, have long blonde (Clairol Natural Instincts) hair. Fine texture. I shampoo, use a spray gel, work through thoroughly, let dry naturally, (if in a hurry blow dry gently), then use a curling BRUSH, not an iron. The styling brush is MUCH easier on your hair Type: Conair- 3/4 barrel, instant heat.Or if not this brand, something similar. Bought mine at K-Mart-$14.95. Hold each 2 inch section of hair for 1 full minute, (roll from ends of hair up to the scalp, you can roll either upward or under, depending on how you want your style to go, then proceed around the head until all hair is curled. When through, lightly style with small natural bristle brush, (I use a narrow wig brush) bought at Sally's Beauty Supply, then spray LIGHTLY, after styling. Unless you shampoo everyday, you should learn how to take two inch sections of hair and start at bottom, and pretend that you are making "pinwheels", every nite before you go to bed. Roll each section from bottom to scalp and secure with a bobby pin. (Roll dry hair) Sleep on these (easy cause they are flat. Next morning, simply brush "back into your favorite style" (and spray again lightly). My procedure, which I've used ever since curling brushes "were invented". Hope it works for you. I have been a hair stylist for 35 years. However tries this, please let me know if it works for you. I would be happy for you!

H
H
I forgot to mention this: If you are doing "pin curls" with bobby pins, you might want to use smaller sections than two inches (perhaps one inch), AND BE SURE the ends of your hair are wrapped smoothly and securely IN from bottom up (your pinwheel style) until you get to scalp and then pin with one or two bobby pins to sleep on. You can even wear a terry cloth "turbin" to bed if you want to cover them. Also sold at Sally's or SaveMart. In the morning you are all reading to start out with simply "brushing back into style". I highly recommend a "curling brush" and I highly recommend a "narrow natural bristle wig brush" for EASY style. A large brush tends to "pull out" the "set" that you've created. Luck to you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.