logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#545043 08/27/09 07:39 PM
OP Offline
Okay, I'm really at a loss as to what to do here. I have a 3 1/2 yr old son named Tyler, and my BF of just over a year has a 2 1/2 yr old son named Hunter. We've lived together since September of last year in a two bedroom apartment; consequently, the boys share a bedroom. Hunter is a wonderful child, and my BF has full custody. Hunter's mommy is unfortunately addicted to pain pills, and she hasn't been to see him since October of last year. Hunter started calling me mommy shortly after. He and Tyler get along well, but Hunter has a VERY bad temper. Lately, his venting of choice has been biting... more specifically, biting Tyler. I have tried everything I know to break him of this, and nothing has worked. Initially, Tyler wouldn't do anything in response because he doesn't want to hurt Hunter. Lately, Tyler grabs him by the hair to pull him off, but his arms and legs are still covered in bruises and teeth marks. I'm in the middle of a divorce, and Tyler has to go spend every other weekend with his father, who isn't a very nice person to deal with. Permanent custody won't be decided until the final hearing scheduled in October, and I fear that if I keep sending my son there covered in bite marks, they'll take him from me. Hunter doesn't talk much yet, but he understands that it's wrong. From the moment I see the marks on Tyler, Hunter runs and hides. Currently, I'm using time-outs because Hunter hates nothing more than having to sit. In the past, I've tried spanking, washing his mouth out with soap, and in an act of desperation I've even bit him back (mind you, I have NEVER left a mark on him, I was simply trying to make him understand that it hurts and it's not nice). I love Hunter like I love my own son, and I consider him mine as well, but I don't know what else to do to get through to him that biting is not acceptable behavior. I never had these problems with Tyler, and I feel like I'm not being a good enough mother to Hunter because I can't seem to properly deal with this. Any advice or suggestions that anyone could give me would be most helpful, as I've run out of civilized options. Would covering his mouth with duct tape be considered abuse? I've considered it...J/K. But I'm sure any parent who has ever dealt with this kind of sibling rivalry will understand my desperation. HELP PLEASE!!!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Some children learn their lesson with a little hot sauce on the tongue. Mind you, I say a LITTLE. A little dab on your finger, placed on their tongue. It doesn't always work, but it's worth a try.

OP Offline
That's a fabulous idea! I'll be giving that a try when he comes home from his granny's. Don't know how I never thought of that... I'll let you know if it helps. Thank you so much!

Moderated by  Nina - Siblings 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.