Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
The media deluges us all day long with images of "the perfect woman" and "the perfect man". We are bombarded with ads for how to trim our thighs, how to put make-up on to disguise our face, how a new perfume or body spray can cover up our normal scent.

We are all unique, like snowflakes, and we should treasure that! We shouldn't all want to be cookie-cutter clones of a model or actress or actor!

Are you happy with your body?

This is challenging for me because I know I *should* be and yet especially after this nose surgery I'm a bit disappointed that she made my nose even more twisted than before. I had come to accept my previous slightly-twisted nose, so hopefully in a little time I'll come to accept this new more-twisted version ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
wow, I am sorry about that, with your nose, Lisa. I had never noticed it was crooked before, and it's prolly still not obvious if one isn't looking for it. You're a pretty woman in any case.

I am happy with my body in the sense that it is strong, healthy and serves me well. I think I am cute but not pretty in the 'traditional beauty' sense. I am pretty okay with how I look even though I'd like to be tall and amazon-like. Although you then hear of tall girls being all slouchy and wanting to "fit in" better, in their eyes. SO who knows what I would want if i WAS that tall, strapping girl?

I am not sure even the hollywood people even look like their "image" when they are home, or doing errands about town.

As humans, we are attracted to beauty. Art, nature, babies, a pretty face. I think the media helps promote what is already an inner urge. The solution, IMO, is being aware of the discrepancy between real and 'fantasy' in face/body.

Last edited by Jilly; 08/24/09 03:09 PM.
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
i dont like how i look. Sure i got a cute butt, dark brown eyes that are almost black, but they are too small, my butts too big and im a little too fat, my friends say that im normal sized but everyone finds faults. But i still love myself, because i can make myself laugh.

Darci
smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jilly - I think you're very attractive smile You have a lovely face, a great body, and a beautiful smile smile You are an Amazon now! You are Wonder Woman's little sister!

Before, my nose was "all at an angle". Meaning if I tilted my head off-straight, my nose would look straight and because of the way proportions work it would look centered on my face. So I could take photos and look normal, and talk to people and look normal.

Now she has "sort of fixed" my nose so it does this strange bendy thing. So the top goes one way and the bottom another. So no matter how I turn my head or anything, it always looks twisty. She was supposed to be straightening my nose so it also makes me worry about the inside tubes. How straight can they be? With all the pain and agony, it's just frustrating. But of course there's no way I'm ever going back through that again.

I always wanted to be an Aragorn ranger type, so I am accepting this as a mark of my strength, in a way, that I survived that car accident and am going on. So maybe it's just as well that it's there and visible, like a tattoo given to me by life. It's a shame that it's so front-and-center as it were. I think I would have preferred a scar on my arm, for example, where I could have it and be seen with it without it being right in the center of my face. But again, I have to learn to accept it and maybe it's good it's right there, that it's the first thing people see about me.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Darci - lots of women would be thrilled with a cute butt! Good for you! How can you say it's too big if it's cute! Apparently it is just the right size. Lots of women with small butts dream about having a bigger one.

I vote you should embark on a new butt-appreciation campaign. Every morning look at your butt and think "This is an amazing part of me, one I am very proud of." Think of all the people out there who dream about having a butt like that.

We'll take this one body part at a time smile

I will say that about my nose, you will say that about your butt!!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I want a cute butt!!! grin

Jilly, you know I think you are adorable.

Lisa, you also have to remember that post surgery there is swelling and "settling" that can take months to resolve. So don't give up hope on your nose! The big thing is whether you are able to breathe better. Health above all.

Me? I am happy (overall) with my face, but my body needs some serious work. And I just need to kick my butt into motion to do that.

Although I told hubby the other day when I got out of the shower, my hair all slicked back from my face. I had not waxed my lip or brow yet and I had this kind of mean look on my face (mainly because I had a headache.) But I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror - and OMG, I looked like a guy! Just the face of course. But I have been real tempted to take a picture of myself like that and put it up on FaceBook and see if anyone recognizes me, LOL!

I'm deranged, I know.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Michelle - you hit on something which is one of those see-saw areas for me - that is the idea of wanting your body to be more in shape. I am very much for fat acceptance and just being happy at the shape you are in. However, I also love mountain biking. I love careening up and down mountains. And right now I can't because I am out of shape. So my body's lack of muscles is holding me back from really enjoying mountain biking.

So I *do* think that just as you practice on the piano because you want to have fun playing your favorite song, that you can get your body in shape so you can have fun playing your favorite activities. I look at that as being a different issue. I know it's a thin line smile But I do feel it's fair to say "I am OK the way I am. But I miss mountain biking so I have a goal to mountain bike more which requires a better stamina body."

What types of activities do you enjoy?

Low Carb Forum
S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Since I am a bit over 50 I would love my 30 yr old body back. I have always been fit but I now say I am a fit woman in a slightly baggy body. My activity level has not changed much but the old body refuses to keep its place - its that gravity thing. In this youth oriented culture and being in the horse business it's sometimes tough watching all the younguns strutting around in their breeches with nary a bulge of any sort to be seen. My aging body is my biggest bogeyman but when it really starts bothering me I alway go back to that Patty Larken song "The bogeyman will get ya...so you might as well dance"

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
S
Parakeet
Parakeet
S
Lisa - sorry to hear that the surgery was not as successful as you had hoped. Perhaps Michelle is correct and time will help with the healing.

Susan Hopf
Horses and Animal Life site editor
Horses Website
Horses Forum
Animal Life Site
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Susan - that's great that you're fit and still riding! A question would be, if you're fit and having fun and doing what you love doing (which many people would be REALLY envious of!!) then what do you feel you lack? You can strut too! Strut and be proud!

On my nose, I think if anything that as the swelling goes down it's even more clear that the bone beneath is still jaggy and not connected smoothly smile I will simply have to accept it I think!

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.