Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
This is where you can post your hint or tip for other quilters to read. Let's see how long this thread can go for!! Remember, be succinct with your title, and you can post as many hints as you wish.

My hint is that if you decide to wash your fabrics before you sew them, cut a little triangle out of each corner. This will stop the fabric from fraying and getting into a nasty gnarl whilst being washed. It also reminds you when you find it in your stash, that it's already been washed.
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
My first (-: hint is: At Office supply stores, Walmart and more they sell a little plastic bottle with a sponge on the end. It is used for stamps. I use it for my fabric water erasable pens, or for when ever I need just a dab of water. Easy peasy.

Donna Rae
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Ok Guys, where are you? I thought there'd be masses of hints on the board by now!!!

Here's my second hint : Always use the same thread in your bobbin as your're using in your sewing machine. There's a very good chance they'll behave very well, because they're the same.
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
Koala
Koala
I'm new to quilting and really don't have any hints...but I always wash and then put away my new fabric after purchasing. My mom waits forever and I go to her house and there is a leaning tower of fabric on the dryer.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Like Connie, I don't have any tips to offer. But I would like one.

How do you keep those little threads that you cut off the ends of seams, or when you rip out a seam, from spreading? I find them all over my ironing board, on the sewing cabinet, on already completed blocks, and unfortunately the carpet. Is there anything that attracts them?

Note: I know one answer is chain sewing, but since I do individual blocks I can not sew a multitude of pieces at one time. It's usually one at a time for me.

GrannyH

Last edited by GrannyH; 08/17/09 12:43 PM.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Koala
Koala
Even when you chain sew you still have to cut those threads at some time. I just think lots of threads everywhere means you've been really busy!

Is Granny daycare over yet? The kidos here started back on Thursday. Today was my sons first day of classes at college.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Yeah, well, I've been really busy then.

Yes, still operating. School doesn't start here until September 8th, so three more weeks. That's a little late, but it's always the day after Labor Day. Then my days will be mine again. wink

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Q
Q
I began quilting later in life, around 58 or 59, and it has become my passion. Tools are an important part of quilting, I think, and every quilter needs a SEAM RIPPER. Yes, we will all make mistakes at one time or another and the seam ripper is my best friend. Proper lighting would be another tip. I have one of those pricey lights that stick onto your sewing machine and you can direct the bright light right where you are sewing. It is a WONDERFUL invention and well worth the money.

Happy Quilting!!

G
G
I keep a small ashtray beside my sewing machine and I put clipped threads in it to attempt to keep the thread from going everywhere. Some still ends up on the floor, but most of it goes from the ashtray to the garbage.

I also keep a small paper bag attached to my ironing board for trimmed fabric and clipped threads.

Galloping Butterfly
B
B
When beginning a new quilt I cut out and piece only one block (or two if the pattern requires) and post them on the wall so I can see them from my machine. It makes for good reference and incentive to keep at it. I have read folks put a piece of wide tape rolled onto it self at the edge of their machine table to stick cut threads on. My personal favorite tip is to MAKE TIME to quilt a bit everyday. We all work hard and our work must get done but fifty years from now will someone say Wow my Nana was a great worker or will they say Wow my Nana made the best quilted "woobies" !! I have another request, if I may: both of my grandmothers quilted and I have some great stories about them. Would anyone be interested in sharing your families quillting stories? Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.