Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
I hope that Judie doesn't mind if I act like hostess here. (You know she's sleeping while I'm being my most 'creative'.)
Thank you all for your posts.

Joan, you joined BellaO just one month after I did - and you made your first post today. I'm nearing 2,000. I like the idea of the light. I also have a different pair of glasses at my sewing machine. It's just a little stronger than the pair I use for reading.

Butterfly, I have often wondered to myself why I don't have some sort of container sitting by the machine, but I don't think it will be an ashtray. Earlier this week I celebrated six years of being smoke-free. I'm not adding any symbols of another time. I have to go back and look, but I'm remembering that once upon a time Judie gave us instructions for making a cloth container for these threads.

Beltinsmom, I like your reference block idea. Won't work on the quilt I'm doing now, but will at a later time. I have done a paper drawing of the entire quilt I'm working on now which is hanging next to my machine. It has helped with placement and color selection, etc. As far as you suggestion about posting family quilting stories, there is an older topic here like that which you could add to, or you can start another. I, for one, would love to hear the stories since I don't have any of my own.

Welcome, and glad to hear from you all. GrannyH

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Sponsored Post Advertisement
W
W
good morning all. I have a quilting tip that my sisters seem to find quite handy. When I make a quilt and I find a backing that I really like, I leave a lot of overhang when putting the layers together. When it comes time to put on the binding however, I bring the backing over the top and sew to the front of the quilt. I have had many complements on this and if you have a backing that really matches great, It shows on the top also. Hope you find this of value in your quilting endevors

J
J
I have several quilts that my granny and great grandma made that brought the back side of the quilt to the front side to finish off the quilts. These quilts were made in the 20's and 30's. Only problem with this method of finishing off your quilt is - if the quilt is used often then the wrapped around method of finishing off wears out faster than the rest of the quilt. If you use a binding, which can be made from the same fabric as your backing, if it wears out it is easier to replace.

J
J
I also have two tips 1. I catch or pick up those loose threads either with scotch tape or with a roller that is used to roll across your clothes to get the lent off. 2. When your needle gets caught in your quilt, when hand quilting, grab a rubber band and wrap it around the top of the needle and pull needle on through.

BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Great Tips quilters! Keep them coming!!

Here's another tip from me:

When you've finished your quilt, and you are intending to show it, make a large draw-string bag to keep it in, out of the left over fabric. Or if you haven't got enough, use calico for the bag but decorate it with the left over fabric. This makes it very easy for the show personnel to identify your quilt with its bag.
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
G
Zebra
Zebra
G
Judie; would this also be a good plan for storing any quilt? I store mine in a pillowcase, cause I do know not to store in any type of plastic. frown

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain."
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Absolutely GrannyH, plastic and quilts just don't mix. There are other ways to store your quilts. I have a number of teaching quilts which I use to teach certain techniques. I store them UPSIDE-DOWN on a spare queen bed. This way they stay uncreased, and the light doesn't get to them. I find this is a good way to store quilts that you use off and on.
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
CDM Offline
Hello quilting friends. I have a list of tips we shared at one of our guild meetings. Following are a few of them.

Use the empty cardboard bolts from fabric stores: Cut in half to make two shorter pieces, fold your lengths of fabric around and store upright on shelves. (I did this...it was so much fun...I feel I have a mini quilt shop in my sewing room. I made sure that the bolts are out of the sun!)

Keep a legend of the quilts you make: on a 3 x 5 card, glue a strip of each fabric you use and make a notation of batting used. Keep in a recipe box.

Lay a piece of sandpaper down on your table top and lay fabric on top of sandpaper when drawing on fabric � great for appliqu� projects � sandpaper keeps the fabric from moving around. (this was my tip and I have used hundreds of times!)

Happy Quilting!

CINDY

Purple is not a color...it is a way of life!

M
M
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Q
Q
Cindy, great tip about the sandpaper. I glued very fine sandpaper onto a VERY sturdy piece of cardboard and use it for tracing templates onto fabric, writing labels, etc. It is so helpful in that the fabric will not slip.

One small tip: I keep scissors (small ones) at the ironing station, cutting station, and, of course, by the sewing machine. Very helpful to me and saves steps even though I have a VERY SMALL sewing room. Makes me keep things organized! Well, most of the time.

Joan

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.