Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
bertinglebra, ostabest, spoodle22, KaylaWa, Marie Stroman
57465 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57466 Members
417 Forums
113608 Topics
806770 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 416
Nancy Roussy 230
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 108
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 63
Jana - Creativity Editor 61
Mona - Astronomy 58
Beetlemess 49
Sandra Investing/HFinance 48
Susan - Meditation Editor 39
mary-tea1 18
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#541158 - 08/04/09 01:32 PM Purple Belt
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
My 11 year old grandson just tested for and passed for his purple belt! (that is the third belt up). I am so pround I am sprouting feathers!!! He is taking instructions for self defense - his instructors teach the complete art of TAI and grandson is doing very well under their teaching.

Edited by Phyllis, NA and Folk (08/04/09 01:33 PM)

Add Purple Belt to Twitter Add Purple Belt to Facebook Add Purple Belt to MySpace Add Purple Belt to Del.icio.us Digg Purple Belt Add Purple Belt to Yahoo My Web Add Purple Belt to Google Bookmarks Add Purple Belt to Stumbleupon Add Purple Belt to Reddit
#619910 - 08/23/10 03:37 AM Re: Purple Belt [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
Ninjahedgewych Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Portsmouth, England
Hi Phyills- congrats on your grandson getting his purple belt. What style of martial art is TAI? BB Ian

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama

Add Re: Purple Belt to Twitter Add Re: Purple Belt to Facebook Add Re: Purple Belt to MySpace Add Re: Purple Belt to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Purple Belt Add Re: Purple Belt to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Purple Belt to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Purple Belt to Stumbleupon Add Re: Purple Belt to Reddit
#631614 - 09/23/10 02:23 AM Re: Purple Belt [Re: Ninjahedgewych]

TAI (actually T.A.I.) stands for Transitional Arts Inc.
They teach Kenpo, Jujitsu, Newaza, Kung Fu, Boxing and Escrima. Their theory for combining all these arts is so one can switch quickly from one form of defense to another when needed - thereby keeping an element of surprise against their opponent. Also, if finding themselves in a tight spot and unable do the kicks, etc., they have ways to get out of it easily.

Edited by Phyllis, Native American (09/23/10 02:25 AM)

Add Re: Purple Belt to Twitter Add Re: Purple Belt to Facebook Add Re: Purple Belt to MySpace Add Re: Purple Belt to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Purple Belt Add Re: Purple Belt to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Purple Belt to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Purple Belt to Stumbleupon Add Re: Purple Belt to Reddit
#631615 - 09/23/10 02:30 AM Re: Purple Belt [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
Ninjahedgewych Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Portsmouth, England
Sounds very challenging. My friend Mark Lutman who teaches the Ninjutsu group I belong to has black belts or above in Karate, Judo and Jujitsu. It really helps add depth to his teaching methods.

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama

#631664 - 09/23/10 11:22 AM Re: Purple Belt [Re: Ninjahedgewych]

I bet it does. Knowing more than one form of the arts is very beneficial. My grandson's instructor's also throw in some "street fighting" techniques which can be useful if needed.

#659703 - 01/31/11 11:03 AM Re: Purple Belt [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
SKYELAW
Unregistered

my cousins son is 10 years old and won a gold medal in mexico last year in tae-kwondo karate, in the same family we hava a european kick boxing champion who fights in cages and mixed martial arts he is 26 yrs old and is a lightheavyweight.

#660544 - 02/03/11 11:54 PM Re: Purple Belt [Re: ]
Caroline - Martial Arts Offline
Shark

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Congratulations to your grandson Phyllis! It's always a wonderful thing to hear people, especially younger people such as your grandsom, continue and progress in the arts. They are our future and who will carry Martial Arts to the next level.

I've heard of similar systems to your TAI. It's becoming more and more popular to see the mixes in styles for the very reasons you're stating: ability to change up tactics and keep the opponent guessing. I often wonder if this is not a bit of history repeating itself as there was a lot of "mixing" of systems way, way back when which ended up with the major systems we see today. Just like living creatures, the systems that will survive to the next generation are those that can adapt to the changing times.

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
What did you SPEND money on today?
by Nancy Roussy
Frugal Living
53 minutes 28 seconds ago
Winter Solstice in Ireland
by Bee - IrishCulture
Irish Culture
Today at 09:58 AM
While you Were Sleeping Movie Review
by Mystic - Romance Movies
Romance Movies
Today at 09:23 AM
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 08:37 AM
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 08:36 AM
2014 Eating Log
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
Today at 08:33 AM
What did you dream about last night?
by Nancy Roussy
Dreams
Today at 08:30 AM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Today at 07:41 AM
Best Body Care Gifts for Friends & Family
by BB -Body Care
Body Care
Today at 07:29 AM
Top 10 Mistakes at the Car Dealer
by Steve - Cars
Cars
Today at 07:04 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.