logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#536951 07/17/09 12:54 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
My son has a new little friend that has been visiting him every day. It is quite tame and does not mind a camera in it's face.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
S
that is a terrific picture. Thanks for sharing

Sharon Schmidt
OP Offline
I know there is a way to have skunks de-skunked. Would that be a wise thing to do in this case? Maybe the skunk could become a household pet. He sure seems to like my son.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
C
Parakeet
Parakeet
C
One summer my DD brought home a bucket of little skunks (3) that she found in the woods. I didn't allow them in the house but they happily settled down in the yard and were fed table scraps every evening. They became tame enough to eat out of my hand, and it was funny to watch them vie for the food scraps. They would threaten to spray each other, even shoving their rear ends into each other's faces, but they never carried the threat out. Skunks don't like their stink either, and they only spray if they are feeling threatened. However, when the neighbor's dog would stop by to see what was going on they let fly at him. Any time I saw Pepper coming around the corner of the house I would yell, "Shut the windows!" because I knew what was coming.
By the end of the summer they were full grown and one by one they wandered off to live their adult lives elsewhere in the woods.
I would not be in favor of descenting a skunk unless you also had it spayed or neutered and kept it as a house pet. Skunks have no other defense than their odor, and they have no instinct to avoid trouble except for spraying. Without the stink they would be easy prey for any dog, coyote or fox that came by. And if they are not neutered they naturally want to roam and find a mate as soon as they are adult. It would be very difficult to keep an adult intact skunk as a pet.
My advice is to enjoy the little fellow for as long as he is willing to hang around.

Claybird #539309 07/26/09 08:32 PM
OP Offline
You are right, Claybird. It would be sad to descent the little guy and force him to live in captivity. To take away his only defense against more powerful animals would not be right.

That is a cute story about your bucket of little skunks.

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Moderated by  Deb - Animal Life 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.