logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
beckyM Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have five kids,three of my kids have learning disabilities.I home school four of my kids. My oldest has ADHD,bipolar,ODD, Verbal and cognitive disorders he also sufers from being a teen with raging hormons. My step daughter has not sever but not mild either Fetal Alchohol Syndrom,and some other learning disabilities.My youngest step daughter has a mild form of FAS and has some Asbergers and ADHD, and soon to be tested for dislexia. I also have two kids that have no disablities. Is it hard for others as well as it is for me? Am I nuts?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Wow, Becky, you do have your daily challenges. Yes, it is harder raising kids that need more care and attention. I got through it one day at a time.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for Becky?

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Becky, just want to welcome you to the forum, we hope that you enjoy your stay!
Rosie

Rosie L
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Becky, I forgot to tell you I had 5 kids and several foster kids. I'm thinking about you.

Amoeba
Amoeba
Hi Becky,

No, you are not nuts! Although we love all of our children those with any type of disability can be and usually are trying to say the very least. I raised two daughters and a son, the girls sailed through everything and it seemed their feet never touched the ground. My son struggled through school it seemed everything was a challenge even his friendships. Back in those days they called him a slow learner. I have since learned that he just learned differently than other children. I can also identify with homeschooling challenges. I never had the nerve to even try that but of course when my children were growing up it was heavily frowned upon. My daughter has been homeschooling my grandson for the past two years due to his diagnoses of Epilepsy a few years back. Believe me when I say that from watching her and trying to help her what little I could it takes a very strong Mom to homeschool a child/children. Through all the ups and downs, I think the best part is when your adult child tells you what a good Mom you were back then, how much they appreciate you believing in them and that they recognize you were always there for them right or wrong.

Your doing a great job Becky, otherwise you wouldn't be concerned. Keep up the good work and one day your children will tell you how much they appreciate everything you are doing for them right now.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, you all are in my prayers.

Debby

Deborah Pipas, Disabilities Editor
Disabilities Website
Disabilities
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Hi Becky, welcome to BellaOnline's forums!

I have a 17 yr old son w/ Asperger's and although academically he is very high functioning, his OCD component is very high, and his psych has also dx him with bipolar and ADHD as separate diagnoses. Typically these are not separate - because they are considere part of Asperger's, but his are so severe, his doc felt he needed the separate dx to adequately cover him for insurance, meds, and history.

He has been hospitalized 3 times. He has put ME in the ER twice.

Yes, it is hard. There are days that I feel like I wish I didn't have him. Then I feel horrid guilt for even thinking such a thing. This is my son. I love him, but I have such a hard time liking him sometimes, and there are times when I am downright scared of him.

I actually see a counselor myself. I need that extra support.

One thing my counselor said to me really caught me one day.

I was telling her about each of my 3 kids - the 17 yr old, my 11 yr old daughter (with ADD - no hyperactivity who is terribly withdrawn) and my 5 yr old ( no ADD, but extremely HYPER, and just a ball of energy).

She said, "It amazes me how you are able to handle parenting 3 such different children. You need a completely different set of parenting skills for each child! Not many people can do that."

And I think most of us with kids with learning disabilities are that way. We almost have to have "split personalities" when it comes to parenting. We can't treast our kids the same, we can't punish them the same, we can't encourage them the same. Is it any wonder we feel so frazzled all the time? We're being 2 or more Moms at one time!!!!

So don't be so hard on yourself. And know that you are definitely not alone, and that you can come here for fellowship, advice, or just to scream at the screen if you need to. wink

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
So many people have kids with disabilities. The more people I talk to the more I hear stories. We must each take good care of ourselves so we have the energy to care for our families. That means eating properly, exercising, taking mini vacations away from home, like when the kids are in school.

Susan

Susan Kramer, Learning Disabilities Editor

Susan Kramer, Learning Disabilities Editor
Ebook Manager
ebooks at bellaonline dot com
Learning Disabilities site
Learning Disabilities forum
My instructional texts
G
G
i love your quote in this post"Keep up the good work and one day your children will tell you how much they appreciate everything you are doing for them right now."

Last edited by gixmi; 07/22/09 12:24 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Hi Gixmi,

Welcome to the BellaOnline forums - I think you'll find a lot of support in any of the topics you visit! I agree that after kids are grown and have their own they appreciate their parents more!

Moderated by  Celestine - Learning Dis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.