Print Thread
R
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
R
As things continue to deepen and get worse, how much has changed for Black People in America?

Do you see things getting better or worse since Barack Obama became President? Some have reported that there has been a backlash because of his presidency--as though they were being targeted.

What has been your experience? What is your thought?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Hi Ruthe,

Should there be? Is any significant change expected because Obama is Black? Why would the fact that Obama is President make any difference?

There is, now that I think about it, a slight change. I have seen some people take advantage and use Obama's race as an excuse to either become dominant in society (if they are Black) or criticize (if they are not Black) anything that the Black People do - thinking that they are playing up to Obama or intimidating other races or acting better than other races.

I think it is sad that Obama cannot just be looked upon as President of our country with the support we should be giving him without it becoming an issue of race.

Black, White, Red, Yellow or whatever - if one is an American, we should all be standing together.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
R
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
R
Hi Phyllis!

I agree. To me, he is just President Obama. And it really shouldn't matter. But, that was only part of the question. The NAACP just celebrated 100 years, and I wondered how many things have changed, and how many things we are still fighting against?

I have heard some people in certain areas say that they have seen an increase in racism towards them since Obama became president--even in church. And I just thought how sad is that? Especially we have so many things to be concerned with in this world, than the color of one's skin.

Have a great week!
Ruthe

Ruthe,

I did not realize that the NAACP is 100 years old now. And I did not realize that was part of your question, since you did not mention that in your post.

This has always been a subject of interest to me and also an issue that is so totally unecessary with my belief system. I could never figure out why people fight because of race or religion. It just does not blend well with my thoughts and feelings. I guess I would prefer a world that is perfect - pretty unrealistic of me, huh?

This would make a good article for you: 100 years of change.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
R
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
R
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, NA and Folk
Ruthe,

I did not realize that the NAACP is 100 years old now. And I did not realize that was part of your question, since you did not mention that in your post.

This has always been a subject of interest to me and also an issue that is so totally unecessary with my belief system. I could never figure out why people fight because of race or religion. It just does not blend well with my thoughts and feelings. I guess I would prefer a world that is perfect - pretty unrealistic of me, huh?

This would make a good article for you: 100 years of change.

Phyllis,

I didn't mention it, but it was on my mind, as a pre-thought to the question that I asked. I, too, would prefer a world that is perfect; but, alas, that is not the case. I grew up colorblind. I guess because my family is its own cornucopia of ethnicities. Also, my Gram always had her door open to people of all walks of life. I also know that's just how God would have it.

Thank you for that title. I believe I will go ahead and use that, as I have been working on an article about the NAACP. Thank you!

Last edited by Ruthe AfricanAmericanEd; 07/22/09 02:18 PM.
L
L
Ruthie, I began life n a small town in the south. I experienced "colored only" water fountains as a teen. Today, my daughter is a real estate broker (unheard of at that time). I'm very concerned however about the future of my 18 year old twin boys and my 7 year old grandson. Men in my family have not fared well; though they began life with promise and potential. I fear black men are becoming an endangered species. It's hard to separate the truth from the hype. Sometimes, I want my sons to move to Canada or abroad so they'll have a better chance without the heavy weight of institutionalized racism. Thanks.

L
L
Apologies Ruthe for misspelling your name...

Ruthe,

I look forward to reading your article. Yes, by all means, use the title - I think it is good and will attract readers. This should make a very interesting subject/article. I love articles on history/culture and how society has changed. Some changes are very subtle and long in coming, others are traumatic and shocking. Let me know when the article is ready.

Phyllis Doyle Burns

Moderated by  Ruthe AfricanAmericanEd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.