Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#537330 07/19/09 03:07 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I found this at a friend's resale store. It's from the mid 70's and has a hand crank. It works great, but only makes 1 size tube, about 2" wide. I was thinking of making 3 or 4 tubes and joining them in stripes for a scarf. Or maybe braiding the tubes and securing both ends and along the braid so that it stays together. I haven't made a headband with it yet, but that would certainly be quick and easy, not to mention much faster than knitting in the round, and would only take two tubes.

I have the original instruction book, which concentrates on patterns using the small circular puffs. The only tube patterns are for an afghan and some stuffed animals.

If anyone has ever used one of these, or has some ideas on how to make scarves or hats, I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
I've no idea, hopefully someone else will have some ideas, I have seen some great scarves by braid three small tubes though.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks Marge. Now that I know a braided scarf can be done, I'm a little more confident giving it a try.

As for joining the tubes, I was thinking I could use a decorative stitch to join the tubes in stripes, perhaps in a contrasting yarn.

For the braided tubes, do you think the mattress stitch might work? They come out knitted in the round, so I'm not sure which joining stitch would work best. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks Marge. Now that I know a braided scarf can be done, I'm a little more confident giving it a try.

As for joining the tubes, I was thinking I could use a decorative stitch to join the tubes in stripes, perhaps in a contrasting yarn.

For the braided tubes, do you think the mattress stitch might work? They come out knitted in the round, so I'm not sure which joining stitch would work best. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Gecko
Gecko
For the braided scarves they were aligned on the ends and sew together, just on the ends, then braided and sewn together flat on the opposite ends. I'll try to find a picture. They were left open throughout, but it worked. I don't think I'm explaining this well, but...

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Hmmmm.....if you cast on with waste yarn, then couldn't the ends be grafted together? If the ends can be grafted, then the scarf could be given that half-twist and grafted so it would be a Moebius.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Moebius - Yikes! I saw that on Knitty Gritty. It was WAY over my head and I didn't even duck!

The grafting idea is a good one I had not thought of! When the tube is removed from the machine, the stitches at that end are just like they "fell" off circular needles. I could lay the tubes flat, pick up all the stitches on straight needles and make a short bar/border to secure the tubes together.

The stitches at the beginning of the tube are VERY loose and I could easily pick up the same number to repeat the process. I've been thinking about this for several days. Sometime this week, I'm going to give it a try!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
There are 2 ways to do a Moebius.
One is to use a ling circular knitting needle and a special cast on. With this method, you knit it in the round and the half twist is created when you set up the cast on.

The other way is easy but requires putting the half twist in after knitting a straight piece and then grafting the stitches.

Let's see if I can explain this:

A____________________________________B
C...........................................D

Please ignore the dotted line, I had to do that to make the C and D show up in the approximately correct places.

The line represents a long rectangular piece of knitting.
A,B,C, and D are the four corners of the rectangle.
Cut a long rectangular strip of paper, mark the four corners the same way on both sides of the strip (a back to back with a, etc) as shown and follow along smile

With the A C side to the left, fold the left end in about halfway towards the center. Then pick up the right b-d end like you're going to fold it in BUT give it a half of a twist so that the upside down D meets the right side up A and the upside down B meets the right side up C. Tape the paper at the join.

Now, Run your fingers around the edge of the paper, starting at the upside down D. You'll see that you can run your fingers all around the edge and come back to the same point without taking your fingers off the paper. The strip has one edge. That is a Moebius strip smile Putting that twist into your flat knitted scarf before grafting the first row to the last row will make a Moebius scarf.

Last edited by Llyn; 07/21/09 02:10 AM.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Thanks so much for the explanation. I've read through it a few times. I do understand the concept, just can't translate it for my fingers. But then learning even a simple stitch takes me a while.

I'm hoping your details will help others, but for now, I probably should stick with the flat scarves and simple hats, as I have a deadline to meet.

Thanks again!

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
Originally Posted By: lcp012586
I found this at a friend's resale store. It's from the mid 70's and has a hand crank. It works great, but only makes 1 size tube, about 2" wide. I was thinking of making 3 or 4 tubes and joining them in stripes for a scarf. Or maybe braiding the tubes and securing both ends and along the braid so that it stays together. I haven't made a headband with it yet, but that would certainly be quick and easy, not to mention much faster than knitting in the round, and would only take two tubes.

I have the original instruction book, which concentrates on patterns using the small circular puffs. The only tube patterns are for an afghan and some stuffed animals.

If anyone has ever used one of these, or has some ideas on how to make scarves or hats, I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Sounds like you found a Barbie or a mattel knitter. I have both kinds plus a few more larger ones.

When you cast on the end is not all that great and you are right about the end stitches being loopy. So you can use waste yarn to cast on and to bind off. Then it is easier to pick up the stitches to finish the work on needles or with crochet.

I make little tiny sort of necktie scarves with these small machines. It is always cold in my office in winter regardless of what the boss tries to do to keep it warm. That little necktie scarf doesn't get in the way and keeps me much warmer.

The small knitters are also great for doing those cute little fun fur scarves. Last year I gave a bunch of those away.

You can also make lots of other things with small tubes. Try making a tube to fit around the head, then one a bit smaller flatten them to be sewn together. Then you just keep doing this till you have a hat after seaming at the back, or seam the tubes before putting them together.

Make a bunch and use them for braided rugs, or placemats. There is an on line site that shows how to make granny circles or granny squares from little pieces that can be used to make bunches of things. BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.