Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#536366 07/14/09 10:38 AM
A
aw21 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Here is my problem. I am a 21 year old female with a college degree. I am 5'2" and 95 lbs. I often receive comments regarding my age. People don't mean to be rude but I perceive them to be. These comments have been: what high school do you go to? (I had one guy tell my that there is no way I look to be older than 16); a kid at the swimming pool hit on me until he learned that I was 18 and not 14; another guy hit on me but didn't believe that I was old enough to drive; I had an important business person tell me that I sounded as if I were 12 on the phone and wanted to talk to someone else etc. I realize these people are just trying to make conversation but there is a big difference between 14 and 21. I can vote, serve my country, drink alcohol,been thru puberty, own my own car, don't have a curfew or have geometry tests. I work 6 days a week and am a secretary that pays bills and does payroll. I'm trying to be a respectable business person but can't if people think I am 14 and don't take me seriously. I wish people would tread lightly on subjects that they aren't sure on. It is like telling a 30 year old woman that she looks 40-you just don't do that. This is the same thing. My mom says to ignore it but I've worked hard to earn my degree and do my best at the job. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
My brother in law's girlfriend seems to be having the same problem. She's become a teacher and people at the school have mistaken her for a student... an elementary school student!
She does look very, very young and I myself have seen her in a picture where I didn't recognize her and thought she was a 12 year old girl. I don't think she's too happy about it but there's not much she can do.

I'm 29 and most people think I'm about 19. I've been hit on by teenage boys and when I tell them my age, their reaction is hilarious.

Most comments you're getting are from people who simply don't believe how old you really are.And believe it or not, some think that telling someone they look so young is actually a compliment.

You're always going to come across these sort of comments. But you can help age up your appearance a bit to help not hear them as often. Don't know if you do already but wearing high heels and make up helps. A modern haircut can also help somewhat.

As for your voice, you can actually take voice lessons where you'll be taught how to deepen your voice. This way people won't mistaken you for a young girl over the phone. It's really amazing.

Last edited by Jellyroll; 07/14/09 01:27 PM.

Moderated by  Nadine - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.